Swim Spa Question

• 2 weeks later...

I havent heard of propulsion nor river jet systems having that issue. Some of the simpler jetted systems might have that issue tho. I sell Catalina Swim Spas and they use river water systems. My main competitors- Master Spas' Michael Phelps swim spas use propulsion systems. Though we disagree on the overall philosophy, I can say that I've never had that come up as a problem in either types of systems.

Hope that helps. Good luck moving forward.

I have a bad leg and swimming is the best exercise for me. We're thinking about a swim spa, though I'm not sure what brand. I've watched videos of people swimming in them. My question is, does the water current hit/spray you in the face? Thanks.

Thanks so much for replying. I'll keep the Catalina and Master Spa swim spas in mind when we are ready to purchase.

• 1 year later...

If you haven't purchased yet..I had the same concern as I don't like rushing water in my face or swimming up rivers.

i purchased and Arctic Spas swimspa, their largest with out any seated jets as I just wanted to swim.  It came with a tether system and I couldn't be happier with swimming in it. It's peaceful and it doesn't even feel as if you have anything holding you back yet there is a soft belt, on your lower waist/hips attached to rubber tubing on a two foot pole at one end of the pool.  Google arctic spas and you will see the older version with a very tall pole, they are now short.

good luck 

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i find it very comfortable swimming and not moving forward.  I use the tether system instead of the current as i don't like to have water rushing at me and i like the peace and quiet of a tether and find it very comfortable.  it was a hard choice to make as i was concerned about resale as one always is for their home. but decided i was buying it for me not for anyone else.  i think it depends on the kind of swimming you will do. i don't swim competitively, just for exercise and therapy.  Usually two of us go in and do pool exercises, one on the tether while the other is doing something else in the corner and then we switch around and then we finish with our other water exercises.  it was an excellent investment for both myself as i have had spine surgery and for having my grandkids over to swim and play. Now that the winter is almost upon us we have put a large cantilever umbrella over the swim spa to keep the rain off of us and turned the temp up to 96 and still swim three or four times a week.  it costs so far about 65/month to keep at that temperature, i expect that to increase as the winter gets colder, but not by too much as the insulation in the arctic spa is incredible.  so far  I am very pleased and make comments to my husband on a weekly basis that I'm the luckiest person to have one of these!  One thing that is critical, make sure you are putting it on a perfectly level pad of some kind, hopefully cement.  I had ours placed on a pad of level crush with gravel on top, and now it has settled and isn't level.  this will cost us in the spring we will have to have it jacked up and levelled as its out by over an inch.

I got my spa on sale, all special things added including salt water and ozone filtration, was 18k, but i added fancy stairs etc, with taxes i think I was around 22k.  Worth every penny, and worked out to four vacations away.. I budgeted 30K, the crush pad cost 2,200, and i purchased pool toys, a floater for three of us to float and suntan and noodles etc..because yes they are big enough for all of that!  oh, crane deliver was 1,500, but, we needed a super heavy duty crane as it had to come over our neighbour yard because our house was so wide and high on a hill.  So, just remember, if you pay around 20k, you will have extras, the pad and crane delivery, maybe a large cantilever umbrella etc. for privacy, so all of that adds up.

hope this helps.

Thanks so much for all the information. I would be using it for exercise also. Like I mentioned above I had cancer in my leg and need to do something very low impact. My mom had spinal surgery also and swimming is about all she can do also. The price you paid isn't bad, trying to convince my husband to get me one is another!  The tether sounds like something I would like. Thanks for the tip about putting it on a very level surface. We live in Pa, so I'm concerned about using it in the winter. Even with something over it like the large umbrella, the thought of going outside in the middle of winter in a swimsuit makes me a little hesitant. I really need to do something for exercise, and this seems like the most practical thing. Thank you again!

Hi, a little more information..im swimming today, and it's really cold outside, I can see my breath..not freezing yet tho..I don't do well in the cold it seizes my back and neck now and I'm finding as long as I wear a robe to the pool and have the pool set high like at 98-99 farenheigt, it is easy to get out when you're wet because you're so warm.  So you may be surprised how late into the season you will use it.  I'm surprised I'm still using it and will post here when I feel it's too cold so you know. I'm thinking i will be using it when it snows, but not in winter wind, its cold wind that makes it hard.

• 2 months later...

Use my swim spa year round in Alberta where we get temperatures down to -40 C .Lot cheaper than installing a pool and you can use it year round.Even if you tried to heat a pool year round it would cost you a fortune so using the swim spa is a great all season alternative and once you realize how easy it is to come out of the spa in cold weather because your body has absorbed the temperature you will wonder why you waited so long to get one.

They are expensive initially. But if you go with Arctic spa depending on where you live they are so well insulated that they are very economical to run.

i sure hope you can save up for one soon. Since I haven't used mine this past tw months because I can't lift the lid with the snow on it..my back has become weak and sore..they are so therapeutic!

Hey foxy, is yours perfectly level? And how many times a year do you change your water? We have major rain today in Vancouver hopefully washing this crazy snow away so I can get in my pool..but I think it's time to change the water..although if I'm going to do that I'm thinking I should have it leveled while it's empty.