Filter Bypass/housing Question

HardLuck

I just purchased an older Cal Spa and found that the filter bypass valve is broken, thus I am getting very poor filtration as the water is just bypassing the filter. I was told that it is a good idea to just replace the whole housing, rather than try to fix. Is this true? Also it is a top load suction filter system and was wondering if it is better to just switch to a pressure system and install a canister filter in the cabinet. Thanks

• 3 years later...

I have a 1988 CalSpa, and kept having trouble with leaks at the filter assembly and cracking of its rather expensive giant plastic nut. Worse was that there was essentially no room to lift off the filter cover to get it out of the cabinet so the filter cartridge could be cleaned.

So a couple of years ago I decided to buy an entire new filter assembly of a different style, and I routed the water flow OUTSIDE of the cabinet to that filter, and then back into the spa.  I added shut-off valves on both sides of that filter.  This is all on the hidden side of the spa, enabled me to keep having the spa.

Can you post good clear pictures here of your situation, maybe draw red arrows pointing to your problems there, I'd like to take a look, maybe there's something you could do. 

• 1 year later...