Energy Usage Is Through The Roof

Hi, I attempted to search quickly, but was unable to find exactly what I was looking for. We have a Hot Springs Rhythm and our ComEd bill (and usage) has doubled in this past year. I have no idea what to do about this (other than get rid of the hot tub...and we do not want to do that). Is there any advise about how to get it to be more energy efficient? It seems to run quite often. Any information anyone has would be very helpful.

Thank you

Hi, I attempted to search quickly, but was unable to find exactly what I was looking for. We have a Hot Springs Rhythm and our ComEd bill (and usage) has doubled in this past year. I have no idea what to do about this (other than get rid of the hot tub...and we do not want to do that). Is there any advise about how to get it to be more energy efficient? It seems to run quite often. Any information anyone has would be very helpful. Thank you

Get a meter from your dealer or buy your own, to put on the tub for 6 months, preferably all extremes. This is the only true way to know what the tub is costing. There can be many factors that are effecting your increase, more dryer time for towels, more lights for entrance and exit from the tub, amount of use, climate variations to name a few of many possible causes.

Do you use a floating blanket under your hard cover? Is the hard cover fitting properly and always down tight? How much do you use the tub? Have your kwh rates increased because of a tier system? How often do you change your water? How is your filtering programmed? Double per month means how much to us? From 30-60 or more like from 100-200?

I could go on and on but there are some things to start checking into.

Thank you for the reply,

We do not have a blanket on the surface of the water, I think we will be making that purchase. The hard cover fits well, and there was never any indication of heat loss at the edges. We are in the tub 1 or 2 times a week. I am not sure about a tier system...kwh has doubled (from what I remember on the letter, I will have to look back and check (Im not at home at the moment) We change the water every 6 months. Not sure on the filtering program (though I would guess it is at factory settings, I feel bad not knowing). As for cost, it has gone from about $65-$75 to $150. I expected the rate to go up in the colder months, but it is consistently higher every month, even in the summer when we dropped the temp to 100.