Ace System - Salt Question

Tubber McGee

Hello,

I am in the processing of changing the water in my Hot Spring tub. It has the Salt ACE system and I need to add 7.5 cups of salt. My nearest dealer is over an hour away and I need salt. The HOT SPRINGS ACE salt that I normally purchase says it consists of - 99.9%S Sodium Chloride.

Question: I am ok to go to my local grocery store and just purchase bulk table salt? My dealer said this would be fine, but wanted to make sure!

Thank you!

The answer to your question is no. All salts(Sodium Chloride) are not the same. Typically food grade salt is not as pure as pool & spa grade salt. It will often times contain metals/minerals and other additives including silica which is added to keep it pourable and to keep it from caking up or sticking to itself. This can be good for people but bad for your spa and the ACE system. Spa salt is more pure and refined to enable it to dissolve more quickly in the spa water without leaving excessive undissolved solids behind. It also often times may contain metal deactivators and additives used to stabilize the chlorine and keep it from evaporating. In summary you will likely have far more problems than benefits if you use the incorrect salt.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to use salt not from a pool store at potentially lower prices, you could use solar salt where Morton® Solar Salt Crystals are 99.8% sodium chloride (other brands of solar salt are more typically 99.6% pure). However, as noted in this link, food grade salt is generally of very high purity, but that is before any additional chemicals may be added as noted in the post by Hot Spring Official.

Some examples of different types of salt from Morton are listed in this link. Extra Fine Refined Sea Salt is treated with ultra fine tricalcium phosphate, a free flowing, anticaking additive approved as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) so you would not want to use that. Flour Salt contains tricalcium phosphate and a trace of yellow prussiate of soda as free flowing, anticaking agents so you would not want to use that. Culinox® 999® Salt is very pure and contains no additives so would be fine to use. Morton also makes pool salt but whereas Morton® Professional's Choice Pool Salt does not have additives, Morton® Advanced Formula Pool Salt contains a metal sequestrant, cyanuric acid, and pH balancers so you definitely would not want to use that.