Pool Heater Not Lighting Or Lights And Will Not Re-Light.

JLM

Jandy Pool Heater LX400N-L Manufactured 2003 will light sometimes and when it does, it will not re-light when the water cools off. I get an AGS error code. Before this happened it was blowing a 2A fuse. The tech said it was time for a new heater. Any suggestions before spending $3000+?

I love Jandy but that heater has had MANY issues. Cut your losses and buy a new heater.

I am very good at heater repair and I've been down this road too many times- repair, another repair, another repair, $900 later and you've got an 11 year old heater that's still temperamental.

Go Pentair or Sta-Rite and you'll be fine.

Mike

I'm a warranty station for jandy in sacramento area i have used there products for many years i have to agree w/ mike that heater model has had many issues i am a big fan of hayward & sta-rite heaters but I'm in love with new new heater jandy just came out with the new JXI is a really cool unit and its way lighter & compact a guy can carry it buy him self no problem

• 1 month later...

Although an AGS sensor is a cheap fix, it's weird that the hi-limit isn't also popping, as they're usually within a couple degrees within each other.

Simply put, the AGS sensor simply tells the gas valve to shut because water temperature leaving header is too high... which could mean a slew of things (flow, heat exchanger, bad sensor, bad pc board, bypass inside header bad?)

If you're mechanically inclined in the least sense, put a multimeter on the sensor and see if it's always bad, opens early, or is in fact opening as it should be. Compare with your hi limit sensor.

If you've had a good history with your tech, and judging by these other commentors, it may be time for that new heater.