Pool/spa Combo - Heater Installation - Help Please!

tcornell05

Hello!

I've just moved in to a house with a beautiful Pool/Spa heater combo, the only issue is of course, it has no heater. Which it seems obvious that at one point it obviously did (or else that would be one useless spa), but there isn't one there anymore. I'll, be asking a few questions and posting a few pictures to correspond. Excuse my ignorance with terminology, this isn't exactly my forte.

To start off, here is an overview of the setup:

LdvrrxQ.jpg

Pretty much, there are two lines into the system it seems to be, and I just want some help verifying what you guys think is the line that should go IN to the heater, and which one goes back in to the system.

heres a picture of the line with the hose valve:

KTTJ0Nw.jpg

Here's a picture of the other exposed line, isn't this typically used for draining?

N3K0nRh.jpg

Here's both:

vi41yLZ.jpg

Here's the overview without the text:

JMtfpn7.jpg

And the gas line:

cdcwYGa.jpg

So to sum everything up. I just want to know which goes in the heater, and which is used as the outtake back into the system. Thanks in advance for your help!

The pipe coming out of the bottom of the backwash line is where the backwash or waste comes out of. Typically, you would connect a hose to that barbed fitting and run the hose to somewhere appropriate. The 1" line with a valve on it looks like it goes to the cleaner pump (missing). That line runs to the pool (may look like the other returns in the pool) This line would be situated midway on the length of the pool.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur with Spa Guru.

Barbed fitting is backwash to waste fitting. connect a discharge hose with plumbers clamp when back-washing.

3/4" pipe with gate valve is likely a pressure side cleaner line that runs to the pool but is unused. (e.g. Polaris 280).

NOTE: the heater MUST be sized properly or it will fail prematurely. Determine the size of the gas line and the length of gas line pipe from the meter and refer to a sizing chart. if you oversize the heater is will soot and fail prematurely. Hopefully the gas line is big enough to deliver volume to a 399,000 BTU heater (the largest allowed on residential pools).

• 5 years later...