2002 Sovereign Heater Problems

DanStroup

I have a 2002 Sovereign that is driving me NUTS. I replace the heater control board last year after it burst into flames. The tub worked flawlessly all winter (and a COLD winter at that.).

This summer I read about summer mode and activated it, tub didn't get used all that much. I did notice the temp was low one day and de-activated summer mode. No heat and found the heater reset tripped. Reset and everything was fine for a few days. Then no heat again, reset was tripped. Pulled and cleaned filters. Tested heater resistance (10 ohms). Checked connections and restarted. Made it 1 week, them BAM, no heat. Heater reset again.

I have determined it doesnt matter if the tub is used a lot or not. Damn reset keeps tripping.

Am I needing just to bite the bullet and replace the heater?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

It's either a circ pump that takes too long to restart after summer timer cycle has ended, a semi-clogged filter, or a bad heater. Before you just order a new heater, turn the breakers off overnight to the spa. Then turn them on. Be sure the circ pump springs to life right away. Sometimes, when the circ pump is old- it may take a couple minutes to get going... and before it does, the heater overheats, and trips the heater high limit. Later, upon a customers discovery that the high limit has tripped, the circ pump has started working- and can make troubleshooting a little misleading.