Filter Broke At Base And Stuck In Threaded Housing

giarcmo

I tried taking out my cartridge filter and it broke off at the base . The male threaded part is now stuck in the female threaded part of the housing of the tub and when i tried to loosen it the whole female part started to move . I am at a loss as to what to do any advice would be appreciated !

Take a hacksaw blade (just the blade) and put some electrician's tape around what would normally be the forward end of the blade. This will be your handle, you now hand cut (cutting on the pull, not the push) from the inside of the broken off piece directly towards the outside in two spots about 1/4" apart, cut until you feel the harder PVC plastic (even if you cut it to the bottom of the PVC threads it will not leak). You will now be able to peel oit the 1/4" wide piece with a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers, and the rest of the broken off piece will come out easily.

• 3 years later...

I had the same problem as Giarcmo.  I used the handle end of a "Bat Day" baseball bat and a wash cloth.  I pressed the wash cloth with the bat handle into the broken male end of the filter and turned it counter clockwise.  The bat was long enough to reach down to the filter receptacle and also allowed me the leverage I needed to get good torque on the process.

image2.JPG

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
9 hours ago, Marisela said:

I’m having the same issue except my jacuzzi houses is male and the piece that’s stuck is female. I can’t unscrew the female end. What can I use??? HELP

Post pictures.

I don't know if you have clearance, but a big oil filter channelock type wrench or Vise-Grips LC-12 have helped me a lot !

12lc_visegrip.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, mattatredland said:

I have the same problem.  Its just snapped off.  Assuming  I can remove it, is there a replacement part?  I can't seem to find one on the internet, only the whole filter/housing, its just the screw bit on the end thats needed.  Thanks

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm having the same issue - I can get replacement housing, but not a replacement connector. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

thank you all for the above post. 

the easiest way for me was to use an adjustable wrench to dislodge the piece. it took a few minutes to ensure that it was tight enough, and with a small rotation with a slight incline to add tension it worked perfectly 

B2EBAB2E-406E-4D75-A074-8C9E08475282.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I think the male part of my filter is sheared off and still stuck, screwed into the female section. I think. Someone told me I now need a new “filter bucket”? No clue what that is. Can anyone tell from my photos if it’s just a case of getting the male part out and putting a new filter in.  

Many thanks. 

96EA5C66-C63F-487F-97D4-A13E7A013571.jpeg

D564AEAC-4AA8-43F4-A46B-D905A2BCBF6F.jpeg

I had the same problem last year in my Arctic Spa.

The spindle that the filter rode on,  snapped.

Turned out - I could remove the lower part of the spindle - and Arctic makes a filter with a male screw-in connector.   So I unscrewed the spindle and the new (different type of filter) screws into that socket,  and life is sublime.

• 4 months later...