Decisions On New Spa - Bullfrog, Sundance

bohai

So, we had a wind storm that destroyed out HT enough for the insurance company to allow us to get a new one. We had a Hot Springs Vanguard. Good Spa, five years old. New replacement cost $14700. So we have that amount to play with for a new toy. Was going to look at Marquis, but the local dealer has none to wet test, NIX. Wet tested a Caldera Cantabria. Was ok, nothing to write home about.

Tested Bullfrog A7. Really like the concept of changing packs. Only problem is the dealer has only sold BF spas since Nov 2013. He has been in biz as a commercial pool guy for 6 years. They have sold about 10 in 10 months of business. I believe this is the second BF dealer in the Houston Area. Houston is not a huge HT town because most people have what they think is a spa in their swimming pool but I won't ramble...... The A8 falls well within the insurance payout budget. Concerns are the purification system (ozonator), filtration is not 24 hr continuous, and will the parts within a jet pack wear out if they have moving parts. The plastic of the jet packs seems a little frail but I may be way off base. We really did like the jets that we tried and love to be able to customize.

Our Sundance dealer only had an Altamar and a lesser series set up that we didn't try. Liked the Altamar but much smaller than we wanted. Liked all aspects of the spa. Jets were not as good as the BF IMHO. Do like the waterfalls and rambling brook feature that the waterfall can be converted to, and I like the sanitation system plus UV. Sundance seems a great brand also and the dealer is willing to take my damaged but working spa off my hands and give me a few bucks for it. The Optima fell in the $12,500 range with piston lifter, steps, delivery, chemical kit, electrical hookup and stereo. Or we could get the Aspen or Maxxus for about $500 above(out of pocket) what the insurance will allow. We have space for a tub that size. Dealer has been in biz in Houston area a long time 20 plus years.

So torn between Maxxus, Aspen, Optima and BullFrog A8

Thank all in advance,

All great choices. I would personally support the Bullfrog 2013 and later models, If you are someone who is looking for more features which can be customized with their jet packs, Bullfrog may make a great choice. make sure you have a good warranty program which can support you throughout the life of the tub.

Regarding the filtration, most hot tubs are built with bypass valve, so they never get 100% filtration either. The Hot springs you had is an exception, but i personally feel their filters are not that great, since the avg micron size of those filters were about 100 microns and needed to be frequently dish-washed.

not to confuse you, but not sure if you want to consider MasterSpas, they have this KDF filter, which is a mineral filter that helps in balancing the water better, making it easier to maintain.

Good luck.

My personal choice would be the Bullfrog, though all listed are great options. I have significant personal experience with Bullfrog and can tell you that your concerns are nothing to worry about. We have yet to replace any jetpak parts. The plastic is sonic welded and holds up great. No problems there.

As to the 24 hour circulation, you can add a dedicated circulation pump if that is important to you. It should cost around $350 or so. Their filtration system works very well though, even without the circ pump. The square footage of filtration area is very close to the same as Sundance. The UV is not all that it's cracked up to be. You need to replace the bulb every year at significant expense, and you still need to add chlorine with it anyway. The APG ozone in Bullfrog works just fine in my opinion. Either way, you will still need to add a small amount of sanitizer.

Both brands are great, so you can't really make a bad decision. I favor Bullfrog's jetting. Imo, they offer the best jets in the industry. That's typically why people buy a hot tub, for the jet massage. If you like the Bullfrog better.......I would go for it. Full disclosure......I'm a Bullfrog dealer (among 2 other brands). I do think that Sundance makes a top notch spa and would happily carry them if I could.

Good luck!

My best buddy got a bullfrog, never heard him complain this past 1 year. He had an older version of bullfrog, which we all have used, but this new one is simply amazing. it is more value for what you pay and own. i dont think so he ever gets bored, he can keep changing seats and frames as per his likes. I understand that the new design has less moving parts, way less plumbing than conventional spas, for me that is a better situation to be if it ever leaks.

Sundance is OK, but not heard if they did anything recently from an innovative perspective.

So here is a run down on pricing.

Sundance Aspen or Maxxus $15350

Includes

Stereo

Cover Valet Lifter (piston assist)

Cover

Delivery and installation

Steps

Chemical Lit

Electrical Hookup

A small credit for my current spa

and Haul away of current spa

Bullfrog A8 ($13265)

Elite Audio

Ozone Generator

Steps

Quietspring Circ Pump

Cover

Basic Cover Lifter

The dealer will not give credit nor remove the current spa. So that becomes a PIA

The insurance covers the full price of the BF nd I have to come out of pocket slightly for the Sundance. The Sundance MAxxue and/or Aspen are quite a bit larger than the BF.

All comments welcomed.

SO after I told my Hot Springs dealer we were going with a different brand, they miraculously had a special deal become available. A new Grandee NXT Cover, sub assy panel, delivery and install, start up kit, steps, F Type cover cradle, SpAudio Music System all for $15500 I can get a med prescript for former back issues and save taxes to get it back to $14500. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. I still really like the Sundance Aspen; BF dealer not very responsive so I think I am ruling them out because of that.