Spa Builders S Class, Not Heating, 3 Flashing Lights

michelb

Hi, our spa (about 10 year old) with a Spa Builders S class board isn't really heating. We're getting the 3 flashing dots so I thought I had to replace the pressure switch.

The catch though is that when it first powers on, it's fine, it's only after it completes a heat cycle that I get the 3 flashing dots (i.e. disconnect spa when the water isn't that hot (i.e. below 100), reconnect spa and the heater works fine but as soon as it hits 100 and it stops heating, then you get the 3 flashing dots. Even once the water temp drops below where it should start heating again, it doesn't. (you also get the same behavior by making the set point up / down).

One thing I did notice is that if I simply disconnect one of the leads on the pressure switch and then wait 1 second before reconnecting, the 3 dots will go away and it will work fine until the heater turns off again. I can also reproduce this if I remove the adjustment valve screw and simply push and hold the "plunger" on the pressure switch for 1 second.

In case it's not clear, I thought it was the pressure switch so replaced that but that hasn't solved my problem. Any suggestions or is this a sign that something is wrong with the spa pack and I need to replace it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mike

Since you mentioned its 10 yr old, it could very well be a faulty heater element, due to rusting/other deposits/water chemistry issues. i believe replacing the heater element is cheaper than replacing the unit. However not sure if they sell universal heater element for this particular Spa.

I assume you have checked for loose connection and also for faulty relay and flow switch.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. The element is fine (forgot to mention that this is the first thing I replaced thinking it was dead). It could be a relay but as mentioned, if I just pull one of the contacts on the pressure switch and reconnect it after a second, it works fine but you have to do this to "reset" it every time.

While the three flashing dots are present on display, check the circuit board bottom right corner for a red LED on solid. If LED present then high limit failure and likely sticking heater relay is the problem. This is a repairable failure. If no LED on pc board then pressure switch is sticking on after pump shuts off = bad pressure switch.

Brandon@spokanespas.com

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't see any solid red LED but I'll have another look. It does sound like it's a bad pressure switch but I just replaced it with a new one so I'm wondering if it's something on the board itself. I guess I'll have to do more investigation. Thanks.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...