Gfci Question

xfoneguy

I recently replaced my old hot tub with a "new used" Emerald Tub. The wiring was already in and had been in use, but the contactor portion of the GFCI panel was humming so loud, I decided to replace the GFCI box with a brand new one.

After wiring everything correctly (checking and triple-checking), I tried to turn it on and the GFCI immediately tripped. After checking things over again and again (several times), I tried several times to reset the GFCI. Some times it would trip immediately, other times the circulation pump would start for a few seconds before tripping.

Anyway, after numerous attempts, it finally started up and continued to run - everything now seems to be working perfectly - the low/high pump speeds, the blower, the ozone generator etc.

It's been running for at least 3 weeks now, according to the pre-programmed schedule and has never tripped again. I've turned it off a few times, used the "test" button and everything seems fine.

My question is: do I need to be concerned about the fact that the GFCI initially didnt want to "hold"? I don't want to fry myself (or anyone else).

One thing I might add is that I initially ran the "neutral" wire from the tub to the neutral bar before reading from numerous sources that it is supposed to be wired directly to the neutral terminal on the breaker (along with the wire that goes from there to the neutral bar). I just changed this last night. I don't understand the difference since they both end up at the neutral bar anyway, but there must be a reason.

thanks!

I find this statement a little confusing,

"it is supposed to be wired directly to the neutral terminal on the breaker (along with the wire that goes from there to the neutral bar)"

For the sake of clarity, the permanently attached pigtail goes directly to the neutral bar- it is a separate connection that should not be shared (in any shape, way, or form) with the neutral wire (that runs from the breaker to the spa) going to the neutral terminal on the breaker.

With the neutral wire going directly to the neutral bar instead of the neutral terminal on the breaker, I can only think of two scenarios where the breaker will not trip. Either the spa does not use a neutral, and is a true 220v spa, or the breaker has failed.

Maybe I'm not good at explaining myself - here is one of many statements I found regarding this issue:

"The white neutral wire to the spa's control box must be attached (as shown in our 4-wire diagrams above) directly to the neutral terminal of the GFCI breaker, NOT TO THE SUB-PANEL GROUNDING BAR. Mis-wiring it to ground instantly trips the GFCI when energized, cutting power to the hot tub."

This is from "spadepot.com". There is also a very clear diagram showing a neutral pigtail wired from the same GFCI breaker terminal to the neutral bar, and the neutral wire from the tub wired to the same terminal on the breaker. If you have a chance to look at this, maybe you can correct me. I found this text and diagram in numerous locations. But I could be totally misunderstanding what I'm seeing.

I do appreciate any and all help!

Regardless of how it might be pictured on the diagram, the neutral from the spa runs THROUGH the GFI breaker, out the pigtail and to the neutral bar of the breaker box. The GFI breaker has to monitor the current flowing through the neutral wire to work properly.

I really don't think that anyone who does not fully understand the function and operation of a GFCI shouldn't be messing with 240V . Please consult a qualified electrician. It's not just yourself your putting in danger but an improperly installed GFCI puts all persons using the tub in danger of lethal electrocution!!

Yes. 240V. 1800 Liters of water. Bad wiring.

Definitely a bad mix. You don't want to mix one, two, four, six of your friends in that tub.

Hire an electrician who knows what he (or she) is doing. It's worth it.

I concur with Spanky. Fully. Categorically.

Thank you so much for the clarification on the neutral through the breaker - that's exactly what I was looking for. Just an FYI: I plan to have a QUALIFIED electrician inspect this when complete - that's why I needed to know now. That's the one problem with these forums: getting "extra" answers.

You may call them 'extra' answers, but most members of this fourm take safety very seriously!!

At 240V, 4amps is lethal. Most spas run 40-60amps!! 10x the potential lethal threshold.

If you were the only person using the spa, then fine, it's your right to do as you please, but in my personal opinion, you do not have the right to jepordize the life of others.

Your original post clearly indicated that you have NO working knowledge of GFCI circuits. Hense the response