1999 Master Spa Ls650 Flo Error

jgraves

Hello there ...

I recently did a fresh fill of our 1999 Master Spa LS650 and am getting a FLO error. I thought there may be an air lock and loosened the union for the pump to allow water to come out. That didn't help.

I can hear what I think is the motor running but water isn't being pumped from the filter housing. When i put a hose into the filter housing i can feel the water returning in the tub.

Does anybody have any possible solutions or things I should look for?

Thanks!

Jeff

Most likely an air lock. If the discharge pipe exits the pump below the intake (some manufacturers do this for plumbing geometry) priming isn't as easy. Verify that your slide valves are open (handles extended) and with the power off, loosen whichever fitting on the pump is highest, wait for water to come out and retighten it. The run the pump high speed, within 30 seconds you should have visible flow.

I drained the tub last night as the water was getting stagnant ...

I have a question regarding the steps you told me to take ...

I removed the filter for the circulation pump and put a hose into the inlet. When I turned the hose on water would come out of the discharge in the tub. If I was able to do this could there still be an airlock in the pump? I assumed if I could get water to travel the same path that an airlock would be eliminated. I'm by no means an expert though.

I'm gearing up to tackle this over the weekend.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Depending on how the discharge of the pump is positioned, and the exit plumbing, hard to say. Take the equipment door off and when you turn the pump on, verify that the motor is physically turning over, not just making noise. If you do not have an air lock, and you have your filter out, there are only three possibilities remaining - 1) The pump isn't turning over. 2) The impeller is obstructed (either the valves are closed or there is debris in the impeller face) 3) Your impeller or pump shaft are broken.

There may be a gap between the plastic portion of the pump and the motor where you can see the impeller shaft, if not, a motor while running will be circulating hot air out of its vents.

Thanks Spa Guru ...

I was able to confirm that the shaft is not spinning. With the power off I am able to spin is by hand though. This leads me to believe that it's the start up capacitor,

Is there a safe way to check that and where would I find a suitable replacement

Thanks!

If the capacitor is good, it will store voltage even after the pump is turned off. Granger's industrial sells capacitors, look on the side of the capacitor for it's microfarad (UF) and voltage range. Check the capacitor for leakage around the end where the wires attach.

• 9 months later...

It's been a while but this problem is plaguing me again.

At the end of last year I confirmed that the circulation pump was seized and closed the spa. I put the new pump in a few weeks ago and everything was good. I briefly got a FLO message then it cleared and things were moving along just fine. Today I'm getting the FLO message again.

I confirmed that the circulation pump is running and water is returning to the tub. I pulled both filters and can feel the suction on the intake but the code didn't clear.

Am I looking at a bad pressure switch?