!993 Hot Spring Sovereign I Hot Tub

cpanddp

Hi,

Just put a brand new (original) heater in !993 Hot Spring Sovereign I hot tub that I ordered from backyardplus.com. It initially began heating (very hot to the touch) but shortly later the heater stopped heating (cold to the touch). Several hours has passed and still cold to the touch. Water temp under 70 degrees...temp dial is turned up to where it should heat to 104 degrees. Red reset buttons on control box not tripped.

At a loss...any thoughts / suggestions greatly appreciated.

It shouldn't have been hot to the touch, it should have been water temperature (maybe a couple degrees warmer, but you can't feel that). I'd guess the heater high limit didn't trip because it's not installed properly, or defective, and a lack of water flow through the new heater has ruined it. Ohm it out, see if it's any good. Check for proper circ pump flow (the small 24 hour circ pump).

Nevermind...we are all good. Water is heating up. Think what happened is that when I first started up, the heater was left on and circulator pump had not purged all air yet so initially water not flowing through heater. This was the time I initially felt that the heater was quite hot. Never having replaced heater or even felt heater previously, I thought this was how it was supposed to be. This quickly changed though as air purged from line by circulator pump.

Anyway all good now.

Lessons learned:

1) Heater pump should not feel very hot to the touch

2) Make sure circulator pump has purged all air from lines before turning heater on