Advice On New Hot Tub (Costco V Wherever)

Elle_

Let me begin by apologizing in advance. I have read a lot of debates on here about Costco v local hot tub stores. (I do know how to google). However, please stick with me.

1. We need a hot tub for a rental cabin, that we also use part time, in Big Bear. It gets cold but not below zero there in summers.

2. We have a hot tub at the cabin now, and so have had direct, personal experience with the two hot tub companies in the area. I won't make negative statements on here, but yelp hot tub and big bear and it will tell you what you need to know. Even an hour away, the next closest hot tub store also has terrible reviews. In short, this means we are buying without testing, because I won't waste the time of another store that isn't close enough to the cabin to deliver.

3. We are long term Costco users and Costco has never done wrong by us. All else being equal, I trust Costco far more than the local hot tub stores.

4. We are looking at two spas at Costco. I would be interested in your thoughts on either.

http://www.costco.com/Evolution-Spas-LSX-703-70-Jet%2c-6-Person-Spa.product.100089282.html

http://www.costco.com/Aquaterra-Spas-Transport-II-22-Jet%2c-5-Person-Spa.product.100110818.html

I know they are pretty different. We are looking at the Evolution because it is in sale, and my husband is excited by the jets. We are looking at the Aquaterra because it is the least expensive hot tub we can find that looks like a real hot tub, runs on a 240 hookup (which we already have installed) and is from a store we trust. I know there was criticism of some Evolutions before for having identical jets, and no insulation, but I think they've solved the jet issue in this one. Not sure about the insulation though.

5. We are not opposed to other brands. We don't want to spend more than $6k, we do need a warranty, and we will not work with the local hot tub companies. Reliability is the most important feature, followed by heating bills, followed by jet power (my husband would flip power and bills, but would value the same three factors).

Thank you in advance. We are really pretty open on brands, but we need to move fast (angry renters with no hot tub).

The most important thing in a rental is water chemistry. It doesn't matter where you buy if the water chemistry isn't maintained. I provide service in a resort destination, and my experience has been, if the spa is taken care of, you won't need great service. If it isn't, it's a poor experience for everyone.

If you buy from Costco, know that Costco is not providing service. Call them and ask them who they use. It might be one of the companies you already refuse to do business with.

I concur, 90+% of my service calls are corrosion related due to either excessive sanitizer use or low PH.

This is usually made worse when people first overdose their sanitizer and then try to adjust the PH when the sanitizer is destroying any recognizable colors in the test strips/kit.

2 replies and no answer to your question. sorry about that. It is true that water chemistry is important (this is my area of expertise, btw) BUT you asked about a comparison between two different spas so I would have to say the two previous answers were off topic! The first link says product not found (probably sold out) but I looked over the second and I will tell you this. I find that saying a 260 gal spa is a 5 adult spa is a stretch! You might fit 5 adults in there but it will be very close quarters. I would say it would be a 3 person max based on size and gallons. If you can see it at Costco so much the better. IT has some "features" such as the waterfall, ozonator, and color changing light that are basically "fluff" and won't necessarily add to your soaking pleasure (ozonators that come stock on spas like these are usually pretty worthless).

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your responses. We have a hot tub guy who maintains the hot tub, so I think we have the chemicals covered.

We ended up going to the closet dealer out of town yesterday. We looked at a floor model, 2013, Jacuzzi JLX-L that we really liked a lot. The dealer offered it to us at $7,800, plus tax, including delivery, hookup, removal of old hot tub, cover and cover lift, stairs, and chemicals (less important to us since we have a maintenance guy). Includes a 5 year warranty on labor and parts/10 years on the tub. We could get it running by this weekend, so with a minimal inconvenience.

We were ready to buy but they would not negotiate much on price so we walked. I called back today, offered $7.8 out the door (so after tax), and the sales guy said he would check with his manager and call back.

Would you pay $7.8 plus tax? From what I gather, it seems like a good price, but I would expect some flexibility because I know this dealer negotiates on price. I am inclined not to pay it - I would probably go up a but more, like to $8 out the door, but I was getting "we will negotiate vibes" before we came in so there's no way I am paying asking. I would feel like a sucker.

Pretty much every manufacturer overstates user capacity, they count seats, but ignore legroom. I have yet to see a 7 ft tub with room for ten legs no matter who makes it.

I'm glad you are trying to meet your needs through a reputable dealer instead of a web page/box store. Most times the box store route results in a great price but a less than stellar soaking, energy use, longevity experience.

We ended up buying the JLX-L, $8.5K out the door (including tax), including a cover and cover lifter, step, and chemicals. I think they would have gone lower but they have to deliver it over a hundred miles each way, remove the existing hot tub, and hook it up, all things they normally charge for. We were quoted $800 to remove the hot tub we have, and another $500 to haul the new one from the curb up to the house and hook it up, so Costco was going to be an extra $1.5 just for those conveniences. We are also getting the JLX delivered right away, and would have been without a hot tub for a month with the Costco option.The Costco tub was $5.5K on sale, or $7K not on sale.

So, basically, I think we paid an extra $1.5K to get the JLX from Jacuzzi (compared to sale price on the Costco hot tub), and in return, got a 5 year parts and labor warranty v. a 2 year on Costco, and an assurance of strong jets. The downside is that we will have to pay $125/incident for the Jacuzzi repair-person because we are out of the area. It would have been a much easier decision if we would have been able to buy from a truly local dealer, and avoid the $125 fee (or if the Costco tub had not been on sale), but I feel pretty secure that Jacuzzi makes a solid product.

Really looking forward to getting it delivered this weekend! I feel a bit guilty, like I bought a more expensive product without good reason -- part of me thought we should go with the one pump, $3K Costco hot tub, but that was so hard to do after I realized we were going to have to pay $1.5K to even get the hot tub into our backyard and heating.

If there had been a problem with the Costco tub you wouldn't have gotten anyone out there for free, and $125 for a 100 mile trip is a bargain, I get $1.50/mile round trip (in a town where $2/mile is the norm).

Returning a defective spa to Costco would have been on your dime as well -- you made the better choice.