Dog Poop In Pool, What To Do?

Yesterday I discovered dog poop in my in-ground swimming pool. It was in there for up to 20 hours - I didn't see it happen but I know it was not there the afternoon before. I was in my pool scrubbing tile the day before and no one was in the pool after that, until I found the poop yesterday. I was able to fish out one "piece" with the skimmer net, but the 2nd "piece" dissolved into a million pieces when I touched it with the net, and it caused a stain on my plaster where it had been sitting. We have some little kids neighbors who have thrown toys and other items into our pool over the fence - I assume they did this. My dilemma is - I did a search on the Internet on what to do when poop is in your pool and I find solutions and problems with HUMAN poop, but what about dog poop? Does anyone know what I need to do to make my pool sanitary again? My first instinct was to dump a gallon of liquid chlorine in, and tried to scrub the STAIN off, but it didn't seem to disappear. Today I will clean my filters well after the pump runs. Any advice?

If this is a plaster pool then you can put a Trichlor puck over the stain and since it's organic that should remove it. Leave it on only long enough to remove the stain. Too long and it will leave a whitened mark so move the puck around a bit to minimize that.

Run the filter 24 hours to remove the broken up particles and also elevate the Free Chlorine (FC) level to shock level for your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level -- roughly an FC that is 40% of the CYA level. After 24 hours you should clean/backwash your filter and can let the chlorine level drop back to normal. Odds are that even normal chlorine levels will be fine, but the superchlorination will help ensure there are no issues especially given that one of the stool pieces fell apart. In general, most pathogens in other species feces do not infect humans, but some can.

Thanks so much - that's what I needed to know! After dumping the gallon of 10% liquid chlorine into the pool after trying to remove the poop, the next morning the stain that was on the plaster was gone - and like you mentioned, it left a WHITE SPOT where the brown spot was....hopefully that will even out over time. Today I will clean the filters really well, and hope no one does this again! I appreciate your reply - it's not as big of a deal as I imagined it could be!!

• 5 years later...

I just found a small piece of dog poop on the step of my in ground pool. It didnt dissolve and I was able to get it all out. Is my pool still contaminated? One of my dogs likes to eat my other dogs poop. I caught her eating it ( I clean up all dog poop immediately, I must have missed this one). I'm assuming she dropped in there because she was eating it right at the edge of the pool. I'm outside with my dogs at all times so I caught her right away.