Hot Spring Grandee 20 Amp Full Trips After Fill Ups

Hi All...

This is my second year owning our 2013 Hot Spring Grandee and I seem to have a 20 Amp Breaker problem. From the first day of ownership, which is about a year ago August, I had issues with one of the jet pumps and the 20 amp breaker full tripping after fill up. I discussed those issues in the following thread (http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45162) as I though it was related to the OP. It turned out after the 1st service call visit that the jet pump issue was supposedly incorrect wiring on the circuit board and the 20 amp full tripping was thought to be a loose heater wire. Short time after that then it tripped again and finally they came for a 2nd service call visit, they claimed the heater was giving some incorrect readings so they swapped it out in hopes that finally cured the 20 amp full trip. Year went by with no more issues with the breaker.

Well this year I drained and refilled the tub, followed same procedures as last year to fill it and guess what?, it is tripping again. It has tripped now twice since the fill up, however it has now managed to stay on for 2 days since I last reset it. Therefore it seems to be focused around fill up time. The only thing I can guess is the breaker is not tripping now because its at temp and able to keep temp without much heater interaction. I suspect if I were to drain and refill it a 3rd time, as in next year or 8 mos from now, I will have the same issue.

I called my dealer and they are giving me the line that they cant warranty the breaker unless they can prove its truly broken and I am like what does that mean for me cause I truly have a problem here that needs to be addressed once and for all and not keep occurring every year at drain and fill up time. I suggested they swap the 20 amp breaker for a new one just to be safe and they said Watkins wont pay for it if its not broken.

The dealer said they were going to call Watkins techs to see if there is anything else troubleshooting wise they could do to figure out for sure if its the breaker or maybe the heater again?, or something else? I spent very good money on one of the top 5 hot tubs and this should not be happening. I feel like I'm getting the run around about we have to prove its broken to get Watkins to pay for the breaker... its a load of BS.

Any help appreciated!

I agree... this isn't something that you should have to worry about- they should just fix it. I don't recall ever having a sketchy breaker warranty Service claim denied by Watkins. In the event the breaker is fine and the problem lies elsewhere, Watkins actually sends the denied part back to the dealer. If it's fine, they can put it back on the service truck, no loss of $$ other than the labor/time/vehicle expense of the service call.

It sure sounds like a sketchy breaker, which is tough to troubleshoot- as a tech can never actually find anything wrong with the tub.