Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda as shown in this MSDS is >= 85% sodium carbonate and <= 15% water so it isn't decahydrate but is at most a single hydrate and may be less (i.e. may be mostly anhydrous).

This chemical is the same as found in most pH Up products and yes it can be used to raise pH, but realize that it also increases TA as well since it is identical to adding a pure base (such as lye) with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). If you want to raise the pH with half the rise in TA, then you can use 20 Mule Team Borax (or you can use lye, but that's not as easy to get and requires more careful handling).

Borax is a better choice! You might not know that borax is also a pool and spa chemical (Proteam Gentle Spa, Proteam Supreme, BIoguard Optimizer, and is also found in some proprietary salt mixes for SWCGs) in case you have any reservations about using borax in your pool or spa.

• 3 months later...

Thanks again, Wizard, I see now that our little pool is is in fact a hotbed of advanced chemistry! For ten years I've been thinking Ph and Chlorine levels, with success - until this year. What now figures is that we've had the driest year for nearly 150 years - hence little dilution to reduce CYA levels, aggravated by the fact that we have at least two months every year of full-on, unbroken sunshine, with UV levels around 10 or 11, which didn't help. I'm now searching round all the pool stores for a decent test kit which I can rely on.

You probably won't find the test kit you want in a pool store. You will need to order it online. You want a Taylor K-2006 (NOT the K-2005 which uses a different test for FC and TC and is not as accurate and requires dilution of the sample to measure chlorine levels above 5 ppm.) The kit is readily available from many online merchants including amazon and many online pool supply stores but last time I checked Amato Industries had the best price. http://www.amatoind.com/taylor-test-2006-p-555.html