Swim Spa Cover In The Summer Months?

During the summer months I plan to not use the heater in my swim spa as the weather here in the south will keep it plenty warm. My question is do I need to keep the cover on it all of the time like any other time of the year? I understand that uncovered leaves is it open to debris and critters . Not having to be concerned about keeping the heat in is it ok to leave it uncovered? I would really appreciate the advice! Thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I don't have a swim spa yet. But it seems that keeping the cover on would make the filter (and you) do less work. What I had been thinking about (we live in Maryland, which is south-ish) is maybe getting a solar summer cover - just something clear so the sun can heat the water up and I can maybe turn the heater off or way down, and then only using the spa cover in the winter. But then there's a storage issue, and it seems like the spa cover would be easier to brush the leaves off.

Is there a reason you'd like to keep the cover off the spa in the summer? Is it getting too hot?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Covering swim spa all the time in summer can effect its water and other accessories. What I am going to suggest, if your swim spa is portable then keep it in a cold place heat it once in a week. I think it would be better to keep water free from debris and critters.

Leaving the cover off for extended periods of time *might* be detrimental to the shell. Putting the swim spa in ECONOMY mode will help with the efficiency issues, and getting a solar cover will help with the evaporation and shell protection issues as well. Thats the route I take with all of my customers, assuming I cannot convince them to keep the original covers on.

• 3 weeks later...