Hives Related To Nature 2 Or Chlorine?

KathiM

We've had our Marquis Broadway for a year now. Started with the spa frog sanitizer system that came with spa and it seemed to work ok, though we did get cloudy water issues on an occasion that were cleared with that stuff that coagulates everything for the skimmer. Decided to switch to Nature 2 and were told that we only needed a touch of chlorine to start it up, then non chlorine shock after each use. This didn't seem right, and I found myself adding chlorine once in a while to get it clear. Just filled the tub for a third time in end of March. Double checked with pool store about nature 2 use. Was told, put in some chlorine with each use, non chlorine shock weekly. Water quality's been better, but I've developed hives! A few patches on my shin, a few on my right hand, and a rash of bumps on one forearm. I've isolated it to determine that it's the hot tub causing the hives, and each time they come back a little more widespread. In fact, I just went to the dr for a cortisone shot which helped immensely. I do have metal allergies, must wear sterling or 18k gold, so could the metals in the nature 2 be causing the problem? Really stinks that I can't go out there and enjoy the hot tub, but the hives are not worth it! Thanks for any info.

The Nature2 metals are silver and zinc. As for keeping the water clear, it is usual to need to use some chlorine once a week or so when using the Nature2 + MPS system.

I'm sorry you've got a rash. There's a Nature2 Spa Mineral Sanitizer Owner's Manual that is explicit about shocking with chlorine to initially activate the cartridge so maybe your not doing that prevented the spa from being properly disinfected. Your doctor should consider of your hives are really a bacterial infection of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. What is strange though is that you developed this after you essentially used more chlorine. I don't have any good suggestions.

I activated the cartridge according to directions. I've looked up every type of "hot tub rash" and mine looks nothing like them. It's totally an allergic reaction and since getting the cortisone shot on Monday and staying out of the tub, It's essentially gone. My husband goes in the spa with me every time and he's just fine. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen hives develop with this system, anyone complaining of an allergic reaction. Could it have been that previously it wasn't activated properly, and now that it's getting the chlorine it needs to work properly, that's whats causing the hives? In any case I need a good sanitation system for my tub. I miss my evening soak!

I haven't seen another report here for hives. As for the activation, that's to release the silver and zinc ions so maybe your allergic reaction is to those. It's possible to be the chlorine since you added more of that and less of the MPS, but that's less likely. I'm sorry this is a problem for you. You could see on your next water change what happens if you take out the Nature2 cartridge and just use a system such as Dichlor-only or Dichlor-then-bleach. If that works for you, then it's the metal ions causing the reaction. The other alternative would be to use MPS instead of chlorine and see how you react to that. You could try that switch now before a water change since chlorine won't last for more than several days if there is bather load. And yes, the water stays clearer using chlorine than only MPS.

Thanks. I think I'll try that first. Since the shot on Monday I was no longer itchy, all evidence of hives just about gone. Tried the tub last night to make sure....YEP! Itchy back of hands, inner wrist and shins. Geez!! Are there different "non chlorine shock" formulations or are they all pretty much the same?

Non-chlorine shock is almost always MPS. Sometimes it is a chemical that is even more irritating. Supposedly, the silver ions are supposed to react with the minor component in MPS that is irritating. Also, with Nature2, it was only approved by the EPA for disinfection when using MPS (and obviously chlorine, but then you don't need the Nature2 in that case).

So if you are getting a reaction with the Nature2 properly activated but using either MPS or chlorine, then it does sound like the problem may be with the silver or zinc ions in Nature2. Again, make sure the water has been using only MPS for up to a week (i.e. your husband using the tub, not you) and then see how you react; then try again having the tub use only chlorine for a week (again, your husband, not you) and then see how you react. You just need to isolate the offending component. If you react negatively with either MPS or chlorine, then next would be to take out the Nature2 on your next water change.

Wizard, I think you nailed it. It's the non chlorine shock. It's been around the time I got the last container. The one I have is sodium persulfate, non monoperoxy sulfate, pretty sure I didn't get it from my regular store. I'm going out tomorrow for the MPS non-chlorine. Any idea how long the sodium persulfate takes to dissipate.

Yup, that would do it since persulfate is a known irritant. MPS has a small amount of it, but low enough that the silver ions get rid of it (they react with it), but with a lot of persulfate in the water it will not only be irritating on its own but will produce more activated (divalent) silver and that could also be irritating.

As for how long it will last, it's an oxidizer so depends on what there is to oxidize in the water. It probably only takes a few days of bather load to use it up, but if the spa isn't getting used much then it could last a week or more. You could add a reducing agent if you want to lower it faster (chlorine neutralizer would work). Probably best to just stop using it and let it go down on its own.

• 5 years later...

I was wondering what the final outcome was for KathiM. It's been over 5 years since her situation occurred. The reason I ask is I have been experiencing the same issues as she has while using the Nature 2 sanitizer.  I have followed the directions exactly. I was concerned that it might be a reaction to the chlorine so I allowed the  chlorine to completely dissipate after the initial activation dose before using the spa. I also waited several hours after the initial dose of non-chlorine shock before entering the spa. My condition had completely gone away prior to this most recent even since I have not been using my spa for several weeks and made a complete water change.  After one use I noticed the itching and small welts returning.