Removing Scale After Spa Drained

We tossed our old spa cover and I drained it so I can clean it and replace some parts. After draining, I noticed a 2"-3" wide white band along the water's edge that I think is scale, according to what I'm reading online. I wondered what the best way to remove this would be since it's already drained (some threads here suggest not draining at all, but that ship has sailed).

I've done some heavy scrubbing with vinegar, which was kind of effective. I also tried a couple spots with Kaboom cleaner, and that also did some good there. Some of the stuff comes off in patches, while other patches are very tough. I wonder now if I should go around the whole spa with Kaboom, or use a different cleaner, or fill the spa and put in a product to clean the whole system (I don't know if it would be effective on this water line).

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

I just posted a new thread regarding a similar issue. Except mine covers the entire spa shell that's under water. I haven't drained mine yet. The similarity in our situations is that the texture is smooth. I keep reading about sand paper and being a rough surface, and that's not even close to what mine feels like. So I'll be curious to see the responses to either your question or mine, because I feel like I may not be researching the correct issue if I'm mistaking what the actual problem is.

** Edit **

Just realized I bumped this from June 2014. My apologies.