Is Pool Store Wrong?

Hi everyone, just took a water sample to the pool store today and they said I needed to add 12 gal. Liquid followed by 10# stabilizer. That sounded like an awful lot of chlorine. The pool is 20,000 gal. And had just been opened 2 days ago. It was green at opening but could see the bottom (5ft. deep end). I put in 6 gal. Of chlorine in it and it cleared up but was a bit hazy. Pool store readings were: ph 7.4, t.a.170, total chlor. 4, f.c. 1. I've never put 12 gal. in it at 1 time ever. Does this sound okay or are they trying to sell more chlorine? Thanks for any response.

12 gallons of 12.5% chlorinating liquid would be 75 ppm FC in a 20,000 gallon pool so yes that does seem very high. Even if this were only 6% it would still be high. The 10 pounds of CYA (stabilizer) would be 60 ppm but that would only be needed in that amount if you currently had no CYA at all and it doesn't look like they even measured that. Also, if their readings are correct, your TA is high and with the pH not high I suspect you have had Trichlor pucks in the pool so your CYA is probably not zero. So in short, yes the pool store is probably having you do some crazy things.

If you want to take charge of your pool, get a proper test kit, the Taylor K-2006, and then you'll be able to know what you need.

Thanks for the response chem geek. I'm sorry, I forgot to mention they did test for cya and got zero. However on their paperwork it says normal level is 40 ppm and the stabilizer I bought from them states that 1# per 4000 gal will yield 30 ppm. So I'm thinking just putting in just over 5 #