Filter Replacement

300 gallon spa:

A few years ago, my built in tiny cartridge filter cracked. On the advise of a pool repairman, I replumbed it with a 50 sf Hayward C500 pool size cartridge filter. (He gave it to me. Said he was replacing them with larger ones and had a pile of them in his back yard.) It has worked well for for several years.

I just replaced the 2 hp pump. While researching for the replacement, I saw that some filters have bypasses in them so that they open up at high speed and only filter during low speed. I can't find any info on this filter to determine if it has this, or if it is really needed.

I'm also installing a used hot tub at another location and plan to do a similar upgrade there, too. It is a larger spa and will have higher traffic(more people) so increased filtering is important. Is this kind of filter a good choice, or would a sand or DE filter be better? Worse case, I'd like to have it stay clean and fresh over a 2 day party weekend with minimal maintenance.