Pool Water Level Issues

Gary

A few weeks ago we noticed the pool level of our spa (we have one of those pool/spa combos where the spa flows into the pool) was going down alot every day. We called a company we were referred by a friend. The guy came out and after inspecting the filter system, etc he said the o-rings were bad and replaced them. Once he replaced them, the spa water level has been perfect. HOWEVER, I have noticed that NOW the pool water level has been going down alot more than normal, I would guess almost 3/4 - 1 " a day. I have checked the pool pump basket and when the filter is running it looks to me like there is no water circulating in there. I have called the company back in the hope that they can come out and check their work, they want to charge me again to come out. They are certain that my problem is now a leak which required me to use another company. Re. pump basket, he is telling me that water is circulating in there but it is almost not visible? When I switch off the filter, I do see wate rgush too the top so perhaps water is flowing? I have noticed that the ring (not sure what this is as he replaced the rings where the valves are that required removinga number of screws) in the pool basket is loose and each time I open the basket, the ring falls off the top part that I twist to take off. Not sure if that could be a problem. Any advice would be appreciated

We are in Sarasota, FL

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

We are struggling with a leak also and are currently suspecting it is within the water feature plumbing. Our levels don't drop when we switch off the valve that feeds water to the feature. If your pump is above the pool water level then of course priming may sometimes be an issue. You seem to be describing the strainer cover. We keep non oil based lube on the strainer cover gasket. That gasket can be replaced if it no longer seats on the strainer cover. I notice that the clear strainer cover will sometime look like there is no water flow but you would notice a higher whine from your pump because no flow through the strainer would mean the pump had not primed.