Sundance Bahia - Fluctuating Temperature

Spasome

Hi all. I have a Sundance Bahia that was inherited with a house purchase and I've been enjoying it for the last 5 years. It's a great spa and has been trouble free except for the replacement of the circulation pump about 3 years ago. I never owned a hot tub before this and I must say, I'm addicted!

The only thing I don't like about my spa is that the temperature varies more than I like. I generally prefer the water about 104 degrees. I have found the digital display to be very accurate to the measured water temperature, cold weather and hot. But when I set it at 104F, the heater does not kick on until the display has read 103F for about 30 minutes and, by then the actual water temperature is about 102.5 degrees. Then the heater kicks on and remains on until the display has read 105F for about 10-15 minutes. By then the actual water temperature is generally about 105.5F and the heater turns off. Usually, about 5 minutes later the display will give the over-temp indication (FL2 if I recall) and all pumps shut off until the water cools down for 30 minutes or so. At this point I generally push the button to turn pump 1 on and the error code goes away and everything functions normally.

This behavior has not changed in the five years of regular use and is not a big deal with the exception that 102.5-105.5 is a three degree variation which is too large. Sometimes the tub is cooler than I like (102.5-103) but I can't force the heater on because 104F is the maximum setting and heater remains off until the temp drips to 102.5. Sometimes the tub is too hot when I want to get in. If I get in the tub with the heater on I often reduce the set temperature to 103 until the heater goes off then I turn it back up to 104 so it will kick on ASAP.

Mostly it's just an inconvenience and I don't mind the over-temp as much as the fact that it cools off too much and there is no way to force it on without waiting for it to cool a little more.

How can I reduce the amount of temperature fluctuation?

I would also be happy if I could run it at 104-105F sometimes.

I don't know where any of the temp sensors are located or how many there are but I am pretty handy with this sort of thing, I just need to be pointed in the right direction as the user documentation does not get very technical or specify sensor locations, etc.

Help!

You have a temp sensor that is located inside your filter housing. If you are standing on the outside of your tub looking down into your filter housing, look to the left you will see a plastic looking nut/sensor. this is you temp sensor. you also have a hi-limit sensor that is located on the heater itself. this sensor is what gives the overheat msg. the main purpose of this sensor is to shut the tub off in case something fails to shut the heater off. A Sundance should not overheat at 105 degrees. An overheat is usually detected at 110 degrees. It sounds to me that you may have a fault in the hi limit sensor. This answer is provided from the symptoms you described. I am new to repairing hottubs and i am still best being in front of one to diagnose specifically what the problem is, so I hope the little I have stated has helped.

See Sundance wiring diagram page 34 for more help

http://www.sundancespas.com/Communications/InstructionManuals/05780Man.pdf