New To Bromine-Can't Get A Reading-Help!

tubblyfub

We have a new tub-using Bromine for the first time (old tub was Baquacil).

I followed the Bromine for Beginners start up instructions to the letter.

I am still am not getting a Bromine reading.

I have Taylor test kit-check Ph daily-it's 7.4-7.8, have added small amounts of bleach to try to raise the bromine level, (but am reluctant to keep adding bleach without guidance). The first Bromine tab I put in at start up is gone-added two more on Sunday-still no pink when I test.

We use the tub for about an hour every night. Its been a week now and I am not sure how to proceed. Can any one advise me? Thanks

If by "we" you mean two people using the tub for an hour, then if you don't have an ozonator this would require around 7 teaspoons of Dichlor or 10 fluid ounces of 6% bleach (7 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach) or 14 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS) to oxidize the bather waste EVERY NIGHT. I suspect you are not using nearly enough oxidizer to get rid of your bather waste.

I presume that you started out adding sodium bromide to create a bromide bank. Is your Taylor kit the K-2106? If it's the 2105 instead, then high bromine levels can bleach out the DPD test (that's one reason why we recommend the FAS-DPD test instead).

If you don't want to add a lot of bleach to the spa to test to see if that would help, then get a 2 gallon bucket of spa water and add 1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach to it that should be 10 ppm FC. Keep adding it until you get a reading. That will give you an idea of the chlorine demand needed for your spa.

Thank you!!

I added 10 oz of bleach last night, tested it today and got a reading of 5ppm.

(Yes have the Taylor 2106 kit).

Do I need to add 10 oz every night, or just if the bromine reading is low?

I do have a new Sundance tub with "Clearay" -not sure if that will reduce frequency of shocking.

Thanks again for your help-this forum is GREAT!!

Use your bromine reading at the start of your soak as a guide to whether you added enough the prior night. The numbers I gave for dosing are just guidelines. Actual amounts vary based on temperature and cleanliness of bathers.

Clearay UV won't reduce the amount of oxidizer you need by very much -- it's not like ozone.