Hotspring Prodigy 2006 - Frequent Relay Clicking

Mosteen

Hello kinfolks, I am a happy owner of a Prodigy that has developed a frequent "clicking" lately.

It is the same "click" as when adjusting the temp up or down manually, so I reckon it is has something to do with the relay that activates the heating element.

Everything works as it should, the two lamps are lit and there's no problem with the water temperature.

I contacted the HS dealer and they are drawing blanks... They changed something they call a "relay coil 18vDC", no change to the clicking.

Then they changed the ozone plumming as it was leaking and also the ozone one-way valve was changed. Following this came an explanation regarding that the leaking ozone system could cause clicking. Of course no change to the clicking...

I grew a bit supspicious about the skills of the experts as it seems very ad-hoc what they suggest trying. It was even mentioned that the IQ might have to be changed but that this would be so expensive, it might be wise to look at a brand new tub alltogether...

I have a background with electrics and I find it increasingly difficult to leave this matter to the "experts".

The tub is installed in a 230v country on a separate 230v/16amp circuit and has been immaculately cared for since new, and has never had any issues before this.

If anyone have some tips or comments I would be very happy.

Thanks,

Mo

No real suggestions, but the idea that it might be better to buy a new tub than to change out the IQ-2020 board seems insane to me. Here in the U.S. a new IQ-2020 board sells for about $300, and the relay board sells for about $125, even together the would be much less than 1/10th of the cost of a new tub. Labor to install them should take less than half an hour (there is a you tube video that shows the whole process of swapping out in about 16 minutes, I am not sure if it is sped up any though).

Thanks Isaac, yeah me too, they seem totally off, It's like a episode of twilight zone, their answers are annoying as they seem to believe I don't know what a relay is. What I actually think is that they don't know what a relay is :)

I'm sourcing the parts myself if I can find out what is causing this. It might be easier for me to do it myself than using the dealer. Strange stuff.

Cheers,

Mo

Hi Mosteen,

Your Hot Spring Spa heater has an integrated flow/pressure switch that may be fluttering if you have erratic or minimal flow through the system. The fluttering in turn causes the heater relay to chatter. Typically, you would also see the ready and power lights on the control panel flashing if the pressure switch is disengaging. The problem may be caused by something as simple as a calcified filter restricting flow, a weak or failing circulation pump or mineral build up on the flow switch contacts within the heater itself. Your dealer should have checked the flow from the circulation pump to ensure it meets minimal specifications.

Regards,Keith, Watkins Customer Service

Thank you Keith, this was very useful.

Sorry, but I left out an important detail; the circulation pump was changed together with the ozone "plumbing", as the rep said that it was "on overtime". I don't think any measurements was done, it was changed based on its age.

There are no flashing on either red or green light when the relay is clicking.

I think we're left with two things: First the filters, I have a brand new set that I can replace. The tub has not been used much since I changed the water and cleaned the filters, but still worth a try.

Secondly, what sounds like the most possible cause, the switch on the heater itself.

The rep has already tried what he called "jumpering" the heater, I was told it would show if the error was caused by a defective thermostate in the heater itself. The clicking was still there after the jumper was installed.

So, if the last point is ruled out, we're left with the filters. This has not been mentioned by the rep at all and as they have been at my place four times now, I would think they have looked into this.

I think I will swap my filters with the new set I have and see what happens.

Cheers,

Mo

I hate to ask the obvious, but could supply side voltage be momentarily dropping enough to cause the relay to chatter? Have you check wiring connections at the breaker,etc. I am not sure what the effects would be on the control system, but that one power transformer onboard might provide enough power to keep the display alive, but let voltage still drop low enough for the relay to chatter.

Thank you Isaac, interesting angle. Although the tub has been running with no fault since 2006 on the same dedicated 16 amp circuit, one could look at corrosion in the main connection I guess.

Just re-connecting it would possibly make any growing resistance in the connection better.

Cheers,

Mo

• 2 months later...

I have a 2005 Prodigy with that same clicking. No change on the power and ready lights, they are normal. On the 2020 board the htr light is cycling on and off with the clicking of the relays. Did you figure out your problem? My circ pump was changed, filters are very clean, water flow seems very normal, however I don't have anything to measure that with. I pulled both hi temp and temp sensors and water rushed out, nothing else, I've flushed out the inlet to the circ pump. Not sure what else to check. I'm wondering if the control head is going?

The clicking sounds might be normal, the heater turns on/off all day and night to maintain the exact temp you want. Each time it energizes, or turns off, its going to "click". No pumps turn on/off, it's just the heater relay opening and closing.

Is it possible your cover doesn't insulate as well as it once did when it was new? Has the weather changed? Are you simply outside more?

Ozone EMI can cause some pretty unusual problems, your dealer is guessing, but their guesses are all in the realm of possibility. It sounds as though they're trying to solve a "problem," that may not exist, or, given the rarity of the problem- just haven't guessed right. Have they been able to duplicate the problem?

Are you sure it's a 2006, and not a 1996? If they replaced an 18V DC coil relay, that spa is pretty old, it may or may not have a pressure switch (95-96 had pressure switches, 97-2000 didn't, and 2001-current don't use individual 18v dc coil relays, but rather a circuit board with the relays attached). What's the serial number?

Depending on the year, you *might* have a bad elec t-stat, but the tech should be able to just wiggle it a little to see if it's clicks too much.

• 8 years later...
On 3/14/2014 at 7:59 AM, Mosteen said:

Thank you Isaac, interesting angle. Although the tub has been running with no fault since 2006 on the same dedicated 16 amp circuit, one could look at corrosion in the main connection I guess.

Just re-connecting it would possibly make any growing resistance in the connection better.

Cheers,

Mo

Did you ever resolve your issue?  we are having the same problem.  2003 prodigy hottub.