Used Swimspa (Sunrise) Checklist

Verbie

Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a used 8x14 sunrise brand swimspa. There are a few hiccups I've found when trying to price it out that I was hoping someone could comment on.

The details are that it is being resold by a local dealer who is offering the original 10yr warranty to me starting now. The unit is in decent cosmetic shape but has what the dealer claims are scratches. To me it looks like its a proper crack b/c the enamel layer has *very very very slightly* shifted. It does not appear that the cut goes very deep but I'm unfamiliar with the construction to say how important the enamel layer is at keeping water in the tub vs the rest of the construction. The skirt is wooden with a insulating layer on the inside of the panels as well as a foam sprayed all around of medium to medium-low tensile strength, think yellow styrofoam. The panels seem to have no staining or damage as if the unit was kept indoors but have some slightly rough edges around where the pumps are, most likely just taken on/off lots. The dealer quoted the age as 6 years. The knobs are missing but the dealer also said that any hardware that came with the tub originally would be sent along but not the original style. The finish of the tub is smooth and not roughened. This would be at least the third move the tub has made, manufacturer > owner > dealer > me.

Questions:

- I can't find any mention of swimspas on the Sunrise site, can anyone comment on their quality and if they know specifically about their old swimspa lines?

- Do I need to worry about deeper cuts in enamel?

- If the cuts are cosmetic and not structural can they be sealed (putty and UV cured)

- Is the age a dealbreaker even if it appears fine?

- At 6 years old, what are the problem areas to look for?

- Also, what would be the parts that have highest probability to break at this age?

- If a replacement part is needed, are they usually swappable with any other manufacturer, i.e. could I use another brand heater or pumps?

- Lastly, can someone say what the very approximate cost to replace, lines, heater, pumps are if they give up the ghost?

- Does anyone have an opinion on the markdown given these details?

Thanks for everyone's time. As you can probably tell, I'm a total newbie at this but very willing to learn.

James