Arctic Spa Summit Review - Northern Ontario

beachouse

I've taken almost a year to come back on this forum, create an account and write a formal review of my spa. I used this forum for hours on end when I was in the researching stages of last May (2013). I figured I owed it to everyone that helped me with my decision (unknowingly) and to help other fellow forum creepers like me looking for a legitimate review. So we're all clear, I live in Northern Ontario where we've experienced full weeks of -40 Celsius this Winter. I'm in my 30's, 6-3" - 250lbs. My wife is 120-125lbs and around 5'-6" - both figures are guesses to be honest. I don't work for Arctic Spa, or have any kind of affiliation to anyone that sells Arctic Spa. I do know the dealer in my area, and he's a nice guy, but not the reason why we ultimately chose Arctic Spa.

Although it hasn't quite been a year since owning the summit; I do hope I'm not speaking too soon (knock on wood), I would like to share what we've experienced so far.

We started looking at Spa's last January and took a tremendous amount of time researching them all - just like everyone does. We were able to narrow it down to just a few manufactures (Jacuzzi, Sundance, and Arctic Spa) At first, we actually had our hearts set on the Optima from Sundance; it's a really nice spa but the dealer location wasn't ideal for us (5 hours away). Jacuzzi seemed to be priced way too high and if we were spending that much money, the preference would go to the Sundance, although the same owners, the Sundance dealer and Optima just seemed more appealing to us. Not to mention that the nearest dealer was again 4 hours away from us. Arctic Spa had always been in our radar, but every now and again, you would read some horrific story from someone who had nothing good to say about them at all. As a reader, you can't help but to retain that review in your mind, more-so than all the positive reviews sometimes. You do get it with the other brands as well, but I was finding that Arctic Spa was under attack in many discussions more often than the rest and wasn't sure if the opinions were authentic or more about personal stance on features. It seemed that there was this conspiracy that the only people that spoke highly of Arctic Spa, were Arctic Spa Dealers/Reps who would spend their evenings signing on anonymously to talk up their product. I'm exaggerating a bit, but that's the feeling you got on some of the threads, and that's why I make a point of me not working for Arctic spa or having any type of affiliation. Most of it I believe, came from the split in opinions over the Full Foam vs perimeter insulation. It made for some confusing homework, and at the end of the day, I had to make a choice based on my own gut feeling about the product. Anyway, I've taken a few minutes to share some points for anyone looking to buy a Summit.

- QUALITY

Our main concern was the quality of the spa, as this had been one of the main complaints we had found online. I'm one of the most particular people I know - and I assure you that I did my homework inside and out on the summit. I had the dealer open the cabinet, watched for water hammering on the lines, potential leaks, insulation coverage, jet pressure, jet quality, seating positions, quality of fittings, etc, etc. I can say with confidence that the spa that I own (Summit) is a made of excellent quality inside and out. The water hammer talk is completely false, so don't let that sway you when in comes to the insulation support. I'm not going to get into the insulation part about it because it's too confrontational - but I can tell you (as being in the insulation industry myself), having the airspace is a lot more beneficial than what people may understand. More insulation doesn't necessarily mean higher efficiency, and it's a huge misconception about insulation. Having said that, I do think either method does the job, but having the access to all the components is a huge benefit should there ever be an issue - and this was one of the main selling points for us.

- SIZE OF SUMMIT

Size is perfect for 4 - they call it a 6 man, but you have to be pretty friendly with 6 people....or mostly all be smaller. I have some issues with sharing my spa water with people, so it's perfect for us. We have another couple that come in with us on a regular basis, but if you were into having parties and as many people as you can get in - 6 would be the max....and pretty cozy. Even 4 people can get the odd foot bump if your not paying attention.

- COMPLAINTS

My only real complaint at this point is that although they do advertise the best cover in the industry (that could be), I do think improvements can be made, especially to the hinged ends where they have the pillows collapse between the two tops to take care of the space in the centre. Not sure if that's the standard design or not, and although it is a good effort on stopping heat from leaving the tub, we can sometimes see steam rolling out the ends of the cover. If you don't catch it in time, it can generate quite a bit of ice build up around the tub and further complicate the lid from closing. I think a longer, insulated skirt of some type would improve this issue. But again, I do understand that it's difficult to seal 100% and in -40 C....the slightest leak of heat can be identified rather easily.

- CONCLUSION

We're so pleased with our Arctic Spa Summit that we don't even think about any other option anymore. I actually had forgotten about the Sundance Optima when I started to write this review and had to google which one it was we were looking at so I could reference it. If you knew me, you'd know that me not having "hindsight" on something is a strange and rare occurrence, and I've even surprised myself on this one. We chose the colour "moonscape" because we live on a lake and we thought it would help hide any sand that might get into the spa, which it must because it looks clean all the time. Can't say the same for my brother who owns a Pearl White Beachcomber.....you see everything, and that could be a bad or good thing depending on who you are. We like the colour and wouldn't change a thing.

- SUGGESTIONS / TIPS

Get the extra lighting package (coloured lighting). We added this at the last minute and really happy we did. It adds another touch and environment that just a plain white light doesn't give. I don't think lights in the seating would be necessary, but definitely the base option - I think it's called the "Family Lighting". Also, we had trouble keeping the right levels at first, and the water was getting cloudy - using Aqua Finesse - which is expensive, but has worked well for us once we figured out the problem with the cloudy water. We found that whenever we had someone new in the tub, the water would get cloudy and hard to get stable - we linked it to laundry detergent still in the bathing suits. We just rinse our suits and don't have any more problems keeping the levels. I'm so particular about it now, that if I have buddies come over, I make them run their suit in the quick rinse cycle in the washer....better taking the flak than spending 5 days trying to get the levels back to normal.

I hope this is helpful for any potential buyers. I know I relied on this site when I was searching, and it's a great site for information, but you can get flip flopped pretty easily on here depending on what you read. For anyone looking at the Summit - the spa is an excellent choice and if I'm happy - trust me, you'll be happy with it.

Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with any issues (knock on wood), but the gentlemen I dealt with at Arctic Spa originally was top notch, and I'm not afraid whatsoever of them not standing behind their product should I have an issue down the road.

I should also point out that it's made in CANADA. Which I truly believe for any Canadian, should be one of the top factors in deciding on a product.

Good luck on your spa search! Don't hesitate to ask any other questions.

• 4 years later...

Great Review beachouse! I am looking at buying a Summit and felt this was helpful. We will be getting the Family Lighting package based on your recommendation. I think your right and the Ultimate northern lights will be overkill. I'm curious though which Summit sub model you got. The signature, legend, or epic? We are planning on the signature, because they said we can upgrade the jets and pumps (for the same cost) down the road anytime...

• 11 months later...

Great review, i’m The type of person who puts a lot of research in before buying as well. I’ve come down to a summit and going to be purchasing this spring. I’m glad you said coloured lighting because I didn’t know if it was worth it or not. Is there any other custom features you have and would recommend?

• 2 months later...

My Arctic Yukon is going on 10 years now (bought in 2010).   Did have a pump replaced last year and also had a leak two years ago - by NOT having a foam-packed installation it saved money on that.

Just replaced the cover (vinyl shell,  not the innards - they're dry,  intact).

Only complaint - the Onzen.   Gave up on it after seven years.   The cells are only warrantied for 30 or 60 or 90 days - I never got more than seven months out of one.   At $70-75 U.S. per,  you can buy a lot of chlorinating concentrate and enhanced shock for the money you'd spend.

And - yes - it IS Canadian.   We are Can-Am hybrids,  so that is a factor,  albeit made in USA also is.   

Most of my friends say it's the best hot tub experience around.    I have tried others,  it's the best I've experienced but from what I've soaked in,  it's the best.

AND - NO ,  I do not work or sell Arctic Spas.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I can tell you why...

No insulation is a great idea in theory, except that the pumps need to run to produce the heat recycling...which is bad if your cover is not giving you a seal.

Satisfaction guaranteed for my dealer means you can pay thousands of dollars to have the product that was delivered to you with damage removed.

We paid almost double our initial budget to get a high end product with an automated system and everything and the tub was delivered with a fault in the shell, the online system has never worked properly; the hot tub has shut down numerous times due to overheating when the temp read a reasonable temperature, the lid was damaged so air was escaping constantly and debris even got inside - which may be why it was overheating in the winter (something the dealer tried to claim was an illogical line of thinking to make up for buyer's remorse).  And the latest, a metal bar became dislodged and ended piercing my foot when I got in it.  Absolute nightmare of an experience!

They keep offering to have someone attend to repair the unit.  I didn't pay upwards of $20k for something that has needed repair from the moment they unwrapped it.  How is this supposed to satisfy me?

I just want them to take this garbage back and return my money so I can spend it on something I have confidence in.

15 hours ago, Arctic Chill said:

I just want them to take this garbage back and return my money so I can spend it on something I have confidence in.

Well, you might get the dealer to take it back in exchange for something else. A lot is going to depend on how you approach the dealer AND you are going to have to have the dealer attempt to fix it first. A good dealer wants to make you happy but also needs to be able to recoup his damages from the manufacturer.

Why did you took delivery of a damaged unit? That would have been the time to act. I wouldn't had accepted my tub if I saw a fault in the shell. My dealers installers had me totally inspect the tub on the dolly to make sure I was happy with it before even unloading it to install.

25 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

In 26 years in this biz I have never seen a refund. The manufacturer has the right, according to your sales contract, to repair or replace at their discretion. 

User A.O. claims to have returned his original Artesian that was a lemon (all manufacturers do occasionally produce one) and replaced it with a CalSpa. That's the only one that I know of. His was a credit twards something else that dealer sold, not an outright refund. I agree, a refund on a delivered tub would be highly unusual.