Sovereign Iq Heater Not Working.

skiznot

My friend recently gave me a Sovereign IQ hot tub. He told me the heater was not heating. I get it home and do some test on the heating element before I fill it up. It has the Watkins No-Fault 6000 heater with the reset switch on top of the element. I open the IQ2020 control box and disconnect the white and black heating element leads from the heater relay board. The element read 9.7 ohms. I then went ahead and filled the hot tub up to see maybe if he didn't have the reset switch properly reset. I fill it up and everything works on the hot tub like the jets, lights, ect but still not heat. I touch the heating element with my hand and it doesn't appear to be getting hot. I'm getting a green light for "OK" on the control board all of the time and a red "heat on" light when I turn the jets off. This seems normal because I have the 110V version and it will not heat and operate the jets at the same time. I get nothing on "control unhooked". I then check the heater relay board by pulling the white and black heater element leads from the relay board and check the voltage coming out of the board. I get 121V. I then recheck the heater element with a ohm meter and get 10 ohms. At this point I think my heater is good and my relay board is good so I pull the filters out of the machine restart it and get the same thing. I appear to be getting circulation because I can see the water rising from the drain on the bottom of the hot tub. I could also feel the water coming out with my hand. So I check the thermistors and high limit sensors with a ohm meter. before the hot tub was filled with water and the temperature was approx 50 degrees outside I was getting about 18 ohms or so on each of the sensors. I really didn't have a good thermometer to check the water temperature but the one I had said approximately 55 degrees. It was a turkey thermometer. I got a reading of 10.5 ohms or so on each of the two sensors. Is there anything else I need to check or should I take the heating element out and lay eyes on it to see if it has a burn hole in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe I may have put this in the wrong forum. I reposted in portable hot tubs. I didn't know how to delete this post.

• 7 months later...