Power Light Blinks: 2000 Hot Springs Landmark

PaulaRay

Hi,

I have a 2000 Hot Springs Landmark spa. The spa was up to temperature showing the green temperature light along with the red power light. The filters are clean and there "has not" been a power failure.

Does anyone know what would suddenly cause the red power light to begin blinking? This has happened numerous times before. The power & heater electrical breakers "are not" tripping. The only fix I have found is to perform the following steps;

1) Turn both breakers off (Power & heat).

2) Wait five to ten minutes and flip the power breaker on.

3)Wait another five to ten minutes and flip the heater breaker on.

Sometimes I have to repeat these steps in order to get it back to regular operating status.

Once corrected, everything would be fine for a couple days and then for some reason the power light begins to flash again. I'd like to add that I have upgraded the factory heater assembly, Thermistor, Control thermostat & Thermistor, Spa high limit back in May of 2008. Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Sounds like a slow to start circ pump- you shouldn't need to turn on one breaker, wait, then turn on the heater breaker. You should be able to flip them on at the same time when the circ pump is working properly. And although the filters are most likely fine, just rule it out by removing the one that is dedicated to the circ pump.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Performed a test without filters in place. Woke up this morning with a flashing red light once again. It took approx. 60 to 72 hours before this cycle tripped. Filters were removed 20 hours ago. This test tells me that it's not a filter problem due to the lack of water running through the system. During this entire cycle, the spa jets were not turned on. Temperature was set at 100 degrees which held steady throughout this cycle. I flipped the main power breaker from on to off to on which now has a solid red and green light. Green of course meaning it's up to set temperature. I checked the temperature immediately which is at 100 degrees previously set. With that being said, I don't believe that the water itself is overheating, but maybe the heater is.......??? It can only be a small number of things that's causing this to happen, but what? Obviously something is causing it to trip. At least the temp's are slightly above freezing. Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I had much the same problem with my 1998 Jetsetter when I bought it used a couple of months ago, mine turned out to be a dying circulation pump that was not providing enough flow to keep the heater from tripping on overheat. At first it would provid enough flow if set at 101 degrees, but no enough if set at 103 degrees. In my case the pump performance deteriorated rapidly and started making a clacking noise, possibly related to the fact the tub had been stored dry for some time.

Thanks for the reply.... I didn't even think of the pump, but I can see that it could be a possibility. What I probably need to do is start out troubleshooting for proper amperage to components. I wish there was a service manual available for these hot tubs. Thanks again, Ray

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm so sorry that I didn't follow up. I thought I did and just now noticed that I didn't. It was my circulation pump. Upon taking it apart it had hard calcium deposits throughout. I cleaned it thoroughly and spa has been running great ever since. I can't thank you enough for all your help in leading me to the problem. THANK YOU! Again, I'm sincerely sorry that I didn't follow up. Thanks again for everything, Ray