Sundance Is Blowing Fuses.....bad Pump ?

drewskie

My 2001 Altamar was running fine for the last year or so, and I just recently noticed that it was completely shut down, so i checked the fuses and the 30a main fuse was blown. I replaced it, and switched power on to the spa, it immediately blew that fuse as well. Anyone know what would cause this? I read in an old thread that it could be a bad motor. if so, is there a way to check? Can I just unplug one from the board and try that? Thank you in advance.

Well....... I am back again. I replaced the heater, and now I have a flo error. I was able to determine (with help) that the circulation pump is the culprit. The pump is only about a year old..... so I doubt it failed that quickly. Also, it failed only after I replaced the heater. Is there another cause for this? Could it be a bad relay? Could the heater failing have caused something to happen to the circ pump? Thank you all again for the help, it is very much appreciated.

Umm, I think if the fuse was bad, the tub wouldn't be running at the moment, and it is. I read an old thread on another board and someone had the exact same issue I have. He said a bad relay was the culprit and he was able to just switch some wires because thee is an additional relay on the Sundance board. Anyone ever heard of this? I would really like to be able to use the tub. Thanks again everyone

Do you know the voltage of the circ pump?

Is it a really small pump (little smaller than a football) or a relatively normal sized pump?

Either way, can you see where it plugs into the circuit board?

Is it an amp plug or are all 3 (or 4) individual wires plugged onto the board with wire connectors?

You need to make sure that the pump is getting voltage. If it is not, then you will need to back track to find out why...bad fuse, bad relay, fried board, etc. If it is, you need to replace the motor or pump (if it's the smaller one).

That was also where I was going with that. The small pump is most likely 120v (3 wires only also would suggest that) so it would be easy to pull out of the spa, or even run a cord TO the pump and plug it into a regular outlet to see if it works. You could also test voltage at the board where the pump connects to it. If there is no voltage there, then the board is not sending the message correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, in case anyone has the same issue, and also one more question.

So it turns out I had a bad circulation pump, even though it was only about a year old. I replaced it, and everything seems to work ok.

What I am wondering is if a bad circ pump would trip the breaker or blow the fuse. I did also change the heater, which fixed the tripping issue, but I wonder why the pump and heater seemed to go out at the exact same time. Is this common, or did I replace the heater unnecessarily?

Another update, in case anyone has the same issue, and also one more question. So it turns out I had a bad circulation pump, even though it was only about a year old. I replaced it, and everything seems to work ok.What I am wondering is if a bad circ pump would trip the breaker or blow the fuse. I did also change the heater, which fixed the tripping issue, but I wonder why the pump and heater seemed to go out at the exact same time. Is this common, or did I replace the heater unnecessarily?

Either way you are good to go. Check the resistance on the old heater from terminal to terminal. If you still have it.