Catalina Spa Model Number? Information?

TRD10

My friend picked up a Catalina Spa yesterday for free and wants to set it up in my backyard. Where do I locate a model number for this? We'd like to get it up and running and see where we stand with this. The previous owner said that it had a leak in one of the hoses. I'd like to research this and get as much information as possible but I am unsure where to start or how to even locate the model number. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well where should I start....lol Just thought the question was so timely since I just was given a Catalina Spa myself. Turns out that I did not know the model number of my spa either and searched the web for any info on the older unit and found very little on it. Not even from the Catalina site. It was apparently too old to even continue to admit they made it way back whenever. I did slowly dredge up some info on the unit though. Here is the web site for them: http://www.catalinaspas.com for what good that may do you. It was very little help to me as mine was not listed among the current models. Also found this: http://catalinaspapartsonline.com which may help you figure some things out. At least you may get some needed parts from there. I found some new filters and pump seals and cleaners for mine at spa depot which were priced better than Catalina parts were. They are here: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/?utm_source=TSD&utm_medium=homepagelogo&utm_campaign=1 My tub is about 10 or so years old and i had to replace the entire bottom wood structure of the tub support and rebbild the pumps. I have other things that I may have to address but have not filled it up yet and turned it on to see if other things are not working and if there is a leak...etc. Do you know how old the spa is? I found my model number from a website that used the model numbers to make a cover for the spa. You pick a brand and model and they have the template for that model on file. I sort of backed into it that way. Mine was sort of easy since there were not many choices for a spa with a TV and a Sound System with 4 speakers in the corners. You dont necessarily need the model number of the tub though. You will be better served knowing the model number of the various parts in the spa. Circuit board, heater, pumps, blower and whatever else. If the tub sat for any length of time you may have quite a bit of work to do. And maybe not. I was quite pleased to get mine for free and am learning that a free spa AIN'T FREE! lol But I went in with my eyes open looking forward to enjoying the challenge which it is turning out to be since this is my first spa and I come to this project knowing little about spas! At any rate the Catalina brand seems to be built as well as any of them and maybe better. If you post up a picture of it maybe someone could better help you. Did the owner state what the age of the spa was?

I did look at the Catalina site, but the one we have doesn't look like any of them list on the site. I've been unable to find any pictures matching what this one looks like. I have no idea how old it is. My friend's girlfriend is going to ask the owner what he knows about it. I haven't even tried anything yet, don't have a 220 outlet either as of right now. Makes sense what you are saying about just having the part numbers to fix what is needed, just really curious what we have. I have found similar or exact parts for most of what I can see. I have the part numbers also. What I do know is: It has Balboa Instruments Controls that look similar to this but not exact http://www.spapartsshop.com/53170-HC1.aspx The pump is this exact one http://www.waterwayspapumps.com/product/3721621/Waterway-Pump-2-speed-Executive-56-Frame-SD---4hp-230V-2-or-25.html The controls on top look like this http://balboadirect.com/11005.aspx and the cover is a 4x3 model. What would be the best route to getting it ready to test? What supplies should we buy and have ready? As of right now I am planning on cleaning and wiping down the inside and vacuuming out any dirt in the inside near the controls and pump. Also, having a friend come over to see what we can do about getting a 220 outlet installed. Seems interesting how many people give these things away after spending so much for them. Thanks for the reply, gonna try and get some pictures tomorrow. The ones I took are just of the part numbers.

That is the same pump that my spa uses. Only difference is I have also got a single speed pump just like it as well. My control board looks much like that as well. I think that Catalina only shows current models on their website. You may call a Catalina dealer and get some model info. I rebuilt both of the pumps in my spa. New bearings and seals. Not a difficult job. Bearings were $10 for both and seal was about $12. Lot cheaper than new pumps. Mine had been sitting out of use for some time so I am planing to decontaminate the tub and piping with some shock and also some Spa System Flush. I am replacing the filters also since they are of unknown age but I am sure older than they should be and stained. Bought some Power Soak Filter Cleaner to clean them going forward. You need to figure out what kind of pad you are going to put it on also. I wouldn't put it directly on the ground. That leak in on of the hoses could be a real nightmare. I am hoping that I do not run into any leaks to repair! All the lines are buried in foam and it would be a bear to track down and repair I think. I'm just about ready to fill my tub and see what else has to be done when I turn it on. Figure out what you are using to sanitize and and test water with. You need a kit that measures Total alkalinity and calcium hardness and ph and chlorine. Good luck with it.

Best way to figure out the model of a Catalina Spa is to look on the inside of the access door**: If it is a keyed entry, the backside of the door will have a the information necessary to identify it: Date, Model, etc.

**Back of door that is a part of the cabinet, not the back of the door cover to the Balboa Control Panel

If that isn't there/worn off, you should try to contact the dealer your friend purchased the tub from. Most dealers will keep pertinent information on hand: Model, year purchased, etc.

Depending on the year the spa was purchased, it likely used Balboa control panels and powerpacks, with Waterway motors. The most common motor is 56k-frame 7.0BHP/4.0HP mootor from Waterway, with the first pump being a 2-Speed and the second pump being a 1-Speed.

Yes: Catalina Spas has a terrible digital support network. Their website is being rebuilt to better accommodate questions like this forum has presented. However, if you look at the link below, this will show a few of the face plates to the control panels and will help you visually identify the Balboa products your spa uses.

http://www.catalinaspas.com/SpaManual1.pdf

• 9 years later...