Spa Cover

r5ran

Hi, just received my new spa cover from RH Tubs, and it seems like a nice cover and initially I was impressed....until I saw the big letters on the box, "Made in Mexico". Nowhere on their site do they state this. Now being someone who tries to buy American when possible, I would not of bought from this company.

Just a FYI - I just verified that covers from "thecoverguy" (that also had very good reviews) are made in Clearwater, Florida. My next purchase will be from them.

Hey, I know this does not matter to some of you, but for those like us to whom it does, I just want this fact known, as RHtubs sure does not inform the customer of this anywhere.

Ah yes...the good, old "buy American" posts. It sounds like a noble cause, but I always ask the "buy American" crowd what kind of TV's they have in their house, or which manufacturer made their cell phone. Oh, and for he record, I own a Marquis tub (I'm told one of the few brands built in our country).

Nope...Mexico. We opened our cover factory there in 2002. We're not too far from Watkins, Sunstar and Jacuzzi. Last year we made some 65,000+ covers there...and yes, there's no mention on our website where the covers are made...but then, some of the largest internet dealers of cover, get them from, guess where :-).

Are you aware that the Coverguy is a Canadian company? Hence, all the profits from their sales go "out of country". They probably have more in profits, than we have in labor.

The duratherm warranty is kind of worthless:

Owner is responsible for delivery and shipping cost of the cover or cover component to the warranty service facility and return shipping cost of the original, repaired or replaced cover or component. The warranty excludes cover damage due to improper use, accidents, wind, normal wear and tear, or any of the following: Breakage or sagging of the foam core. Torn handles. Torn tie-down straps. Torn seams at skirt or underside. Water intrusion into the core liner or water absorption of the foam core if any holes, tears, punctures or breaches to the vapor barrier or vinyl jacket are present.

Buy from a dealer where you will have recourse. Support your local businesses.

Interesting that a USA company would act just like we all think a foreign maker would. Recommendations for a cover for a Hot Spring elliptical spa in 4 season weather? I was ready to buy 5 inch by 3 inch R-29 foam with extra handles, reflective sheet, double moisture barrier wrap at over $550.

A 5 inch by 3 inch cover is no where near R-29...at least not in this universe! The foam of a cover is made of EPS (Expanded Polystyrene). ALL EPS foam has the SAME R value, based upon density and thickness. A 5 x 3 cover averages 4". 2 pound density foam has an R value of 4.35 per inch of thickness. 4 times 4.35 equals 17.4. At most, the vinyl and polyethylene vapor barrier adds another R-2.

Great, so now we can't even trust a "Made in USA" company for accuracy in advertising. For those interested, i just had a long conversation with a gentleman in Yonkers, NY at Hot Tub Spa Supplies. They are a factory authorized dealer for Watkins. He confirmed for me that the spa covers they sell as factory original are made in Mexico. He also confirmed that the factory warranty terms are that they will replace a core that has become waterlogged, but shipping from their warehouse to the customer is not covered under the warranty, so it sounds like even the dealers do not cover shipping of warranty claims. They give a 2 year warranty. They said the longer warranties often do not mean any better quality. From what you are saying about the R values and characteristics of the foam used the long warranty may be just advertising as opposed to a realistic life of the product. The other aspect he mentioned is that when you deal with a US manufacturer about a warranty you should get US customer service, not walk-away attitude so many complain about on this site and review sites for products. So, even with a dealer as supplier, it pays to make personal contact and ask all your questions before you spend. Thanks for the heads up.

"They said the longer warranties often do not mean any better quality"

Think there's anyone out there that would say, "Gee, since they offer a longer warranty they must have more faith in their manufacturing process. You shouldn't buy the product from me, but should go there for a better deal"?

Over the years, there have been a scarce few online dealer that gave "bumper to bumper" warranties that INCLUDED shipping....they're no longer in business.

Realistically, 99% of warranty issues will show up in less than 2 months. 1% may take a year.

Everybody sounds either ornery or in disbelief that there are some of us who have not had any experience with hot tub covers but need one and are ready to go with an online dealer for what sound like good products. So which is it? Online supplier of the BIG, THICK, Mexican made replacement with so-so warranty track record on a big warranty statement, or online dealer of the Mexican made replacement "factory original" NOT-SO-BIG cover? All I hear is griping by everybody about somebody else.

• 9 months later...

DuraTherm spa covers are not made in the USA. I ordered one from Spa Depot last month, and today I received an email notification that delivery will be made this week. The email indicated that the cover was being shipped from San Diego, but the manufacturing address was in Tijuana, Mexico.

For the record, there's no "made in the USA" emblem or statement on the Spa Depot site...at least none that I could find.