First Time Fill For Dummies

Freebird222

Ok, I've been given a hot tub cal spa 1997, from my inlaws and I have read many postings about starting up but I am looking for the dummies version. What is TA? Is there a step one, type version? I will be filling with water softened well water ( my pool had no issues but some iron I filtered out - never had to adjust ph (perfect) and only added chlorine ever) but heated water and spa care and set up is new world. Walmart sells products- bromine or chlorine? I'm thinking bromine is less work? I am starting from scratch. Link to idiot level instructions??

Ok, I've been given a hot tub cal spa 1997, from my inlaws and I have read many postings about starting up but I am looking for the dummies version. What is TA? Is there a step one, type version? I will be filling with water softened well water ( my pool had no issues but some iron I filtered out - never had to adjust ph (perfect) and only added chlorine ever) but heated water and spa care and set up is new world. Walmart sells products- bromine or chlorine? I'm thinking bromine is less work? I am starting from scratch. Link to idiot level instructions??

You have a lot of reading to do. Since the tub was used by someone else, I would follow Nitro's decontamination guide that's stickied in this forum.

TA stands for total alkalinity and has a direct relationship with PH. You need to get this relationship balanced before proceeding with sanitation/other chemicals. Get a good water testing kit first of all. TA should be in the 80-120 range and PH should ideally be 7.4-7.6. TA can be lower if that's what is needed to get the PH in range, but PH will be more volatile when TA < 80, so small changes once down in that ALK range could have large effects. Higher PH can cause scaling while lower can cause corrosion.

I use Chlorine and over 50% of hot tub owners do the same.

I'm relatively new at taking care of a tub, but I've read so much material in the past 2 weeks that I feel like a new man. If you are going to manage a tub, you have no choice but to read and learn how to operate it, otherwise bad things can happen. I recommend reading and trying to understand everything that user "ChemGeek" writes.