Water Temperature Question

enigma869

Good Evening All...

I recently took delivery of a new Marquis Tub, and plan on filling it sometime this week. I wanted to get some feedback on the "right" temperature for the water. I know the default on most tubs is in the 104 degree range, which is WAY too hot for me and my skin! I plan on keeping the tub at 90 degrees during the Winter months and 80 degrees during the Summer months (not sure why anyone would want 104 degrees in July). This is my very first hot tub, so I'm not sure if keeping the water at a temperature lower than the "standard" has any implications that I'm not aware of (aside from keeping the electric bill a bit lower). Any and all feedback is most appreciated.

John

The main effect will be a lower disinfectant usage since you will sweat less and the disinfectant will react and break down more slowly in between soaks as well.

On the other hand, if you end up soaking for an hour instead of 20 minutes, then you could end up with the same or even more chlorine demand from soaking. Usually people can't or shouldn't soak at 104ºF for more than 20 minutes for health reasons though it's a statistical thing that varies by person. See this link and this link, for example. There's a big difference in the effects on the body between 104ºF and 100ºF. At the even lower temperatures you are considering, there should be no problem at all.

Temperature is personal - the right temperature is what you feel comfortable with.

mrs north and I prefer 103F / 38.4C. Agreed, in the summer months, those temperatures can be "too hot"... this time of year they're delightful. In the winter - with the snow all 'round - NIRVANA.

Glad to hear that the water doesn't become less "safe" with those lower temperatures. I've been in hot tubs in the past and always found the water to be far too hot (yes, I do know that they're called "hot" tubs). 90 may be a bit too "chilly" for the Mrs. on those cold New England nights, so we'll see how it goes. I appreciate all the great feedback. I have a whole lot to learn so am most grateful to have found this site.

I find that when I have the temperature set a little below body temperature, it starts to feel cool. I do this on hot summer days and use the spa to cool off. In the winter, when the air temperature is in the forties and lower, I set it at around 100 plus, my skin still feels hot for a minute when I get out, that gives me time to get a robe on without getting a chill.

Dave