Hot Spot No Insulation On Door Side

ggiguere

I recently purchased a Hot Springs / Hot Spot Rhythm and noticed that there is no insulation on the front of the spa where the pumps and heater are. I was told by the sales person that it gets too hot for insulation. This may be the case when the pumps are running but what about the 90 percent of the day they are not running. Seems like there would be a lot of heat loss on that side of the tub. Does anyone have any more information about this? I have seen the Watkins video about Fibercor insulation but why isn't this all around the tub?

Hi ggiguere,

Congrats on your spa; thank you for your business! The salesperson is correct. The components need air circulation to avoid overheating. There is no measurable energy loss related to this. Enjoy your new spa!

Thanks,

Steve

---Hot Spring Spas---

"There is no measurable energy loss related to this"??? Can you explain, with some mention of the laws of physics, how this could possibly be the case? Or are you just repeating the company line?

The air circulation may be a valid reason not to have full insulation there, but that doesn't negate the inevitable heat loss.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies; you guys keep me on my toes! :) I agree, 'no measurable' reads the wrong way. Clarifying: the energy consumption related to any potential heat loss does not affect on our CEC compliance. If the compartment is permanently insulated it will 100% overheat components in warm environments. If you're in an extremely cold envrionment for several months a year, and want to take an extra step in the winter, we have a winterizing blanket, part# 31399. However it has to be removed when it warms.

Thanks,

Steve

---Hot Spring Spas---

If one of the best insulated tubs in the world has heat loss through the equipment door, which it does. Imagine how much heat loss is on other not so well insulated tub brands.

I'm not a big Hot Springs/Watkins fan in most ways, however they are the standard that everyone is trying to compare themselves to.

Not only a non-insulated door, but an actual vent on each pump to evacuate the hot air they create outside into the night air! Which is actually a good thing, unless you like to cook things like circuit-boards and motors :)

The winter kits are a standard thing where I live and people put them in and take them out every year.

Not only a non-insulated door, but an actual vent on each pump to evacuate the hot air they create outside into the night air! Which is actually a good thing, unless you like to cook things like circuit-boards and motors :)

The winter kits are a standard thing where I live and people put them in and take them out every year.

At night, it get's all the way down to the chilling mid 70's here in S Florida, lol

I think the wife and I will take a trip to ft wayne this weekend to see Donna about this. Thanks for the info. It's nice to know we have a resource in the know close at hand.

If I change the water when I am supposed to I can install the kit in the late fall and take it out early spring and that's perfect!

• 2 years later...