Sta-Rite Sr400Hd Max-E-Therm Error Codes Ad0, Sf1, 888, 180, R4

Ericsonn

Good Day To Everyone,

I am new to the pool ownership family and as such, I will apologize ahead of time for any mistakes and/or omissions i make ;)...I am grateful to all for any help you can provide me with...

I have a 10+ yrs Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD pool and spa natural gas heater. I purchased the home last year in June and at the time the heater worked with no issues. I did not run it during the past winter at all. I am now trying to get it going now but it won't run or start up nor make any noises whatsoever.

When i turn it on the following happens: code Ad0, then Sf1, then all the lights on the panel flash, then 888, 180, and lastly r4 before the panel shuts off. Can someone explain what these codes mean? Or what could possibly be wrong?

It is currently beyond my capability to just replace it so that's why I am trying to figure out if i can repair and/or replace anything that might be wrong.

Pool is about 10,500 gallons, in ground, plaster, water is flowing into the heater, no water is leaking out of the heater or the filtration system.

I never knew or thought that my heater was connected to the pool timer...this is the reason for the fireman's switch right? To prevent the heater from being turned off prior to the pool pump?

You may or may not have this firemans switch connected. It is not included with the heater. You or your installer make the determination to install it or not. If you can take a picture of your pool filter timer, and post it, i may be able to determine if you have one installed. You could also have this problem from rats or mice in the heater chewing on the wires. You should have the heater inspected either by a service person, or by yourself. It is a relatively simple procedure, you are just checking all the wires for good connections and that they are all intact.

No, to INSURE the heater turns off prior to filter pump turning off. This gives the heater time to cool off before water stops moving through the heater.

Ok, so now, my display won't come on, so I've ordered a new membrane board as well as the control board thinking that maybe the board and membrane might be acting out.....in hindsight, whenever I would try to turn on the unit, there was a big delay with the membrane lighting out and sometimes it would come on and sometimes it wouldn't...stay tuned..I should have the parts by early next week.

Thank You Guru! Nice picture! I checked that Friday morning and everything looked ok....then yesterday evening I got my new top assembly and membrane housing and today I got the board...so to make a long story short, all I needed to do was to replace the membrane pad housing and everything fired up nicely...what I think that happened was that the membrane was so chewed up and worn out that some of the wires were cross connecting? I don't have any errors and everything is working fine....Do you thing this is possible?