Hotsprings Landmark New Circ Pump Now Spa Gets To Hot

LigMan

Ok so I installed a new/used Watkins 5002 circ pump yesterday in my spa and it works great, but the spa now gets way to hot (around 115F) when I checked it and turned it off when I turn the thermostat knob you can here the relay clicking iv tried to let it sit un-powered for an hour or so and turn it back on the but the pump immediately goes into its second speed as if it need to heat up the pool more but the pool is still really hot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi LigMan,

The 5002 two-speed pump was only used for 95-96 model spas. If there is still power going to the heater when the thermostat dial is down, even though you can hear the contactor click, the heater relay has welded contacts and needs to be replaced. The welded contacts are a result of the heater flow switch causing the relay to 'chatter' if the circ pump has intermittent/low flow. You may also check the resistance of the control thermistor/sensor as it is out of spec it may be sending a signal to activate the heater even when not needed.

Thanks,

Steve

---Hot Spring Spas---