Advice Asap Please! Used Down East Exeter Vs New Caldera/vita/alps/sundance

Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I have spent hours reading this forum as well as a lot of other hot tub/spa information online. I'll tell you; my head is spinning! We have been overwhelmed with the different spas and options out there. Why I asked for help asap is because we looked at a used hot tub this evening & we need to let the guy know tomorrow whether or not we want to take it. First though, I'll give you some background information. Sorry, but this post will be long.

We are new to hot tubs, so we are coming at selection from a newbie perspective. The main reason we want/need a hot tub is for my husband. He is 6'5, 40 years old and has early osteoarthritis. He is in a lot of pain after work if he walks or stands alot. He does residential and commercial construction - all aspects. So the hydrotherapy aspect is what we need it for. Money is tight - I'm forgoing getting a car and taking the bus because he needs a hot tub more. Doctor recommended it years ago, but we've never gotten around to getting one. We also have a small yard, but decided we can put it on the side of the house.

The tub would probably be used every day by my husband and occasional use from myself and my 11 & 17 year old sons. We live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and have very cold winters. It's not too humid here since we're in the prairies. I have psoriasis and occasional bacterial skin infections, so I would want a system that doesn't make it worse. We don't travel, so looking after it regularly would be no problem.

We know we want a lounger and a cool down seat. Because my husband is so tall - 6'5, & my 17 yr old is 6'6, a tub with a long lounger is best. We've sat in all these tubs I'll list below, but he has only wet tested the used Down East spa so far. Warranty is very important to my husband, so we're looking for a comprehensive package, & my husband is more partial to insulation that is easy to get to - not the sprayed in full foam.

UPDATED: We've decided not to go with #1 -the used tub. Moving it would be a hassle & we'd prefer to have a warranty. Also a no for #2 - the Sundance Peyton. 7 feet isn't large enough for my tall family. A few inches extra definitely makes a difference. NO for #3 the Ciara - instead possibly the Olympus - I'll type over the Ciara specs in #3. Same with #6 - the Bullfrog spa. The price was just too high. Question though, is 2 - 2 hp pumps enough? That's what the Makena has, and for the price, we thought it would have higher hp.

(Prices are before tax)

3) http://www.jetsensationhottubs.com/#!olympus/cpyc http://alpsspas.com/models/olympus/ Alps spa Olympus model: 1st link is to the actual Winnipeg distributor and the 2nd link is to the Alps line. The warranty on it is pretty good. This tub larger and deeper, has ozone and 2 6hp pumps. The price for $7250 is a great deal. It has 3 pumps, ozone, full lighting package including cup holders and a stereo system. Comes with a breaker panel & she would give us a deal on cover lifter and steps. This one has 2 loungers though, so I don't know if we'll like it. We can sit in it, but not wet test it. We have only seen the pics on the web. The problem is these are in her back yard ,(new & packaged though) and she hasn't opened an actual store or warehouse yet, so we're concerned about warranty in the future. She said Alps would still take care of us if she stopped selling them.

4) http://vitaspa.com/2011/05/envie/ Vitaspa (by Maax) at Crown Spas store: The Crown store has a great reputation & great warranty. We spent time talking with the guy and sat in the tub. It's really nice. Its on sale for $7300 but that doesn't include ozone or any extras. We're waiting to hear tomorrow on what he can do with the price. My husband likes that its not spray foam insulation. We've heard that Maax is a good brand as well. After looking at this last week, we thought it was too expensive but after deciding warranty and a better tub is important to us, we're willing to finance a higher price. They will also give 3 years warranty from their store on things that are usually 2 years. They said they could fill the tub for us to wet test it this week. We're leaning towards this one if they can bring down the price even more. Their quote today includes ozone, clearzone II uv, steps, & cover lifter but total is $8900.

5) http://www.calderaspas.com/en/shop/paradise/makena/#tech-specs The Caldera Makena from Hot Springs/Oasis dealer: We saw it tonight, but didn't have time to wet test it. It's a really nice looking tub. The price is on sale for $8800, but he would give us the floor model, taxes included for $8200. It comes with the spafrog bromine system. The lighting package is great and we love that their is actual handles that light up too. There are speakers installed, but no stereo. The price for ozone is kind of expensive, but I wanted to ask about whether we should just buy an ozone kit online and install it ourselves. Is it worth getting ozone? Guess that's kind of another topic. The dealer would include cover lifter and stairs, and give us a deal on railing and anything else we want. The no tax or free salt system ended last week, but he's willing to honor it, so it's a pretty great deal. This tub also has the best warranty out of all of them. 5 years on most things as opposed to only 2 or 3 years for the rest of the tubs we looked at. I think I may bus it down there and wet test it later. We've heard great things about the hotsprings brand - our friend has one. We originally wanted the flair, but the lounger was too short.

6) New addition to list: http://www.northwindhottubs.com/freedom.html Northwind Freedom: It's the largest out of all of them at 92x92 and 40 inches deep. The other tubs were either 36 or 38. They said for $7800 we could get the floor model with ozone, upgraded insulation, a lighting package, steps & free delivery. Warranty wasn't that great, but it could be upgraded. The thing is, this one has NO LOUNGER, and we think we want one. The guy says most people don't like loungers & if they had one on their first tub, they get no lounger on their 2nd. I'm going to make a new post to see what people think about loungers. Does anyone here own the Freedom or a Northwind tub. I have no idea what the quality or reputation is.

I also am not sure on what the best & easiest sanitation system for problem skin to use is - enzymes (we were told enzymes are the newest and greatest thing to use), bromine, chlorine, salt etc, and I'm not sure if we should let ozone included or not be a deciding factor. If ozone makes a big difference, would you recommend paying a lot more for the dealer to install it, or ordering one online. My husband is extremely handy, so it would be no problem for him to install himself. His (new, but small) construction company also has plumbers or electricians we can call on, (though my husband used to work with an electrician).

Anyway, thanks again for your time & answers. I can't wait to read what you all have to say & I hope you're all enjoying your hot tubs! I'm so happy to have found this forum. Trish :D

That's a lot to look at, so I'll just give you my general responses:

1. Skin bateria/psoriasis: See your doctor before using a Hot tub. The temperature, chemicals and immersion may not be good for you. You doctor may also recommend others not bath with you for exposure reasons. I have no idea what your particular situation is, but your doctor can give you the green light or what cautions you should/might take.

2. Used tub: If you go this route, I would suggest a non-full foamed tub. Used tub means failures/leaks are far more likley and you will not have a warranty. Even if hubby is handy, finding and fixing leaks will be much easier with an open shell. Digging out and replacing wet foam is niether easy nor inexpensive. However, you will be looking at higher running costs in the winter due to heat loss with a non full foam tub, especially in the praries (I've lived there - Brrrrrrr). Arctic Spa models are an exception, also Beachcomber to a lesser extent. Both Candian companies that build with an eye towards our "unique" climate.

3. Not coming up to temp: that tub requires repairs. Not going above 90c is a big warning sign. Could be as simple as a switch, could be as expensive as a heater or a control board. For reference, my 2010 Grandee will rocket up to it's max setting in short order if I set it there. We keep ours at around 98-100C for most of the year, maybe tip it up to 102c in the winter months.

4. Loungers: I'm not a fan. They take up a lot of space and with the jets on they usually just push me to the top of the water. Pointeless. I'm not 6'6" either though.

5. jets: I stay away from anythign that had a bazillion pin point jets. They are just painfull to me. I prefer jets that move, rotate or have a broader footprint where they inpact you skin. tiny sharpo jets might be a concern with your skin conditions. They can actually for infections in to you pores if there's anything in the water.

6. Chemicals: well, that's a bit of a crap shoot. We first used bromine (was teh "in thing" at the time) and after a couple dips I couldn't stand it. Itching, scratching, redness, etc. Wife was fine. Swapped to chlorine and everything was good. I guess my point is whatever the newest fad is doesn't really matter; you may get in and have to change it anyways. Your skin condtions may make you even more sensitive. I will say that our tub has the Ozone system and my chemical use is pretty low for sanitizer. I do belive it works for that purpose. It's been running constant for almost 5 years without fault.

7. Final, most important point: DON'T BUY ANYTHING YOU CAN'T WET TEST!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. We bought new, but there were several tubs we sat in dry that felt good. Once wet tested, the jets were all wrong, some postions would float us up or blow us out (IE: jets), the bumps and armrest postions all changed and we walked away disappointed. The way a tub feels dry is nothing like it does wet. It's because of the jets, your floatation, etc.....

I understand budget constraints, we were lucky enough to have the good fortune to have a bit of money we didn't expect. We considered used also. I didn't like the older tech, "used tub" stigma (what the heck has been in there?) and lack of service support a used tub would have had. We ended up with a HS Grandee. It's so big, I can't imaging anyone not being able to submerse in it. it also has several different types of jets so we move from one to the other to get different "massage" effects. But it wasn't 3,000 CAD either. Heck, it wasn't even 6,000 - oh how I wish it had been that "cheap". But there's also no a lot of "economy" in spending 3-6 grand on a tub you don't like or seldom use.

I wouldn't be pressured in to buying something becuase they can give you a "one time deal on the floor model tonight but not tomorrow". That is very old sales pressure tactic and it's pretty sahdy business in my opinion. If they'll give you a "discount" today, they sure as heck will give you the same deal if it's still there a month from now. If it's gone then now loss anyways. Never make a "snap decision" becasue of what a salesman says when dealing with something this expensive or this specific to a persons preferences/needs.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

HI Great White. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. If you're reading this, & saw my update, you can see we decided against the used tub. I also went to the Dr. this morning and I have follicultis, which I've been getting on and off for years.

We're trying to wet test these models in the next few days, since I agree that's the most important way to tell. I will definitely keep an eye out for sharper feeling jets. We're also going to verify if we want a lounger or not. If we change our mind, we'll have to start all over again, because that's all we've looked for. (Until I got the Freedom quote today)

Anyway, thanks again. Have a great day!

LOL, screen name is Great White.

Spa savant is something the forum adds.

No worries.

I'm not trying to upsell you, but our Grandee is huge. Simply huge. The HS warranty is 2 year "bumper to bumper" (our dealer is "top up" on that to the 5 years bumper to bumper), 5 year on leaks, and 7 years on the shell. But, they do not come cheap. You're looking at 3-4 grand more than the prices you're looking at in your post for that one.

My opinion on stereo in the Hot tub is it shouldn't be a deciding factor either way. Lots of people seem to have issues with them, lots don't. To me it's just one more thing to break. At best, I would get the pop up speakers with the ability to plug in an MP3 player. I would still rather use a simple stereo i could takle in and out of the house (and that's what we do). It's just a gadget really, to make it seem like you're getting more than for your buck. In truth, a $100 portable stereo will give you better sound and you can still use it in the house, the garage, out camping, etc....

The lounger? Well, we wet tested a couple models. LIke I mentioned, pointless for us and just ate up seating space that could have been used for a few different jet massages. If we had bought hte vista (closest HS model with a lounger) we would have lost a Moto massage jet position and a rotating jet area. After testing a Grandee the missus and I knew we'd be fighting for the one motomassage in the Vista. The Grandee had two moto massage places. The Vista also did not have a cool down step and it used the lounger as the entry steps but the grandee has two very wide distinct steps inside the tub. Wet test a lounger and decide for yourself would be my best advice.

A cool down area is also nice to have. It's a spot where you can sit up (mostly) out of the water. If you find youself getting overheated but not ready to get out of the tub, you pop up on the cool down step and have a rest. Without a cool down step, you have to sit on the sides of the tub or get out completely. Personally, I find this neither convient, comfortable or safe. Getting in and out is a major PITA, you can slip each time you do it, sitting on the edges is usually uncomfortable unless they are specifically designed to do this and there's also the possibility of loosing your balance and falling over backwards.

The step might also be a concern for you. If hubby does have bone issues, you probably want to look for a model that has a couple easy access steps inside the tube. Steps on the outside is a nice addition from the dealer, but the stepping areas getting in to the water is equally important and that's something you can't add or change afterwards. Nothing sucks worse than trying to ease yourself into a tub that doesn't have nice wide steps or forces you to use a seating position as a step. They don't have hand rails either unless you buy an aftermarket style one that is slipped under the tub and is held in place by the tub weight. Remember it's going to be slippery underwater, at least more slippery than the outside steps. Slipping becomes a serious issue if you have pain and bone issues as a slip can reult in twisted muscles/tendons/ligaments, broken bones, or (gawd forbid and super rare occurance) drowning if you knock yourself out. It only gets harder to get in as you get older too...

While you are not looking at a HS model, these are some features and items you might want to look for or consider if they are important to you.

Here's something else to consider doing with such an expensive purchase on the horizon. You're starting to move up in price for something you're hoping will get some "medicinal" use. I would suggest your hubby find a local fitness place that has a hot tub area. Get a 30 day members ship and try soaking a couple times a week or so. If it does actually give him some relief, you will at least know that your money will be well spent vice spending a big wad of cash. You can go with him too and see if it gives you any comfort. The kids? Meh, they're kids. For them it's just pleasure and if you don't buy one it won't make a difference to them either way.

Cheers

2. Used tub: If you go this route, I would suggest a non-full foamed tub. Used tub means failures/leaks are far more likley and you will not have a warranty. Even if hubby is handy, finding and fixing leaks will be much easier with an open shell. Digging out and replacing wet foam is niether easy nor inexpensive. However, you will be looking at higher running costs in the winter due to heat loss with a non full foam tub, especially in the praries (I've lived there - Brrrrrrr). Arctic Spa models are an exception, also Beachcomber to a lesser extent. Both Candian companies that build with an eye towards our "unique" climate.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. North Face jackets are made in California. They are the best cold weather jackets out there. Told just like a non full foam salesman would.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. North Face jackets are made in California. They are the best cold weather jackets out there. Told just like a non full foam salesman would.

Wow, great theory. Except I have a full foamed Hot springs Grandee and i live in Canada. Yup, it was made in California.

Arctic spa and Beachomer are fully insulated, just not with a spray in foam. Arctic uses insultated removable panels and a light foam on the shell, beachcomber uses Roxul insulation packed from skirt to shell. I mentioned them so the fine young lass in Winnipeg would look at a fully insulated tub, be it foam or by other means. I could care less where it's made.

You should also read a little closer before firing off an inflammatory "one liner" response , I said they would be incurring higher running cost with a NON full foamed tub.

Yup, all that sure sounds like a "non foam salesman" alright.

I have also had to repair a leak in my Grandee and dealt with digging foam and replacing it.

If you think it's easier and cheaper for a DIYer to locate and fix a leak in a fully foamed used tub as opposed to a non full foam...well, that speaks for itself.

Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I have spent hours reading this forum as well as a lot of other hot tub/spa information online. I'll tell you; my head is spinning! We have been overwhelmed with the different spas and options out there. Why I asked for help asap is because we looked at a used hot tub this evening & we need to let the guy know tomorrow whether or not we want to take it. First though, I'll give you some background information. Sorry, but this post will be long.

We are new to hot tubs, so we are coming at selection from a newbie perspective. The main reason we want/need a hot tub is for my husband. He is 6'5, 40 years old and has early osteoarthritis. He is in a lot of pain after work if he walks or stands alot. He does residential and commercial construction - all aspects. So the hydrotherapy aspect is what we need it for. Money is tight - I'm forgoing getting a car and taking the bus because he needs a hot tub more. Doctor recommended it years ago, but we've never gotten around to getting one. We also have a small yard, but decided we can put it on the side of the house.

The tub would probably be used every day by my husband and occasional use from myself and my 11 & 17 year old sons. We live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and have very cold winters. It's not too humid here since we're in the prairies. I have psoriasis and occasional bacterial skin infections, so I would want a system that doesn't make it worse. We don't travel, so looking after it regularly would be no problem.

We know we want a lounger and a cool down seat. Because my husband is so tall - 6'5, & my 17 yr old is 6'6, a tub with a long lounger is best. We've sat in all these tubs I'll list below, but he has only wet tested the used Down East spa so far. Warranty is very important to my husband, so we're looking for a comprehensive package, & my husband is more partial to insulation that is easy to get to - not the sprayed in full foam.

UPDATED: We've decided not to go with #1 -the used tub. Moving it would be a hassle & we'd prefer to have a warranty. Also a no for #2 - the Sundance Peyton. 7 feet isn't large enough for my tall family. A few inches extra definitely makes a difference. NO for #3 the Ciara - instead possibly the Olympus - I'll type over the Ciara specs in #3. Same with #6 - the Bullfrog spa. The price was just too high. Question though, is 2 - 2 hp pumps enough? That's what the Makena has, and for the price, we thought it would have higher hp.

(Prices are before tax)

3) http://www.jetsensationhottubs.com/#!olympus/cpyc http://alpsspas.com/models/olympus/ Alps spa Olympus model: 1st link is to the actual Winnipeg distributor and the 2nd link is to the Alps line. The warranty on it is pretty good. This tub larger and deeper, has ozone and 2 6hp pumps. The price for $7250 is a great deal. It has 3 pumps, ozone, full lighting package including cup holders and a stereo system. Comes with a breaker panel & she would give us a deal on cover lifter and steps. This one has 2 loungers though, so I don't know if we'll like it. We can sit in it, but not wet test it. We have only seen the pics on the web. The problem is these are in her back yard ,(new & packaged though) and she hasn't opened an actual store or warehouse yet, so we're concerned about warranty in the future. She said Alps would still take care of us if she stopped selling them.

4) http://vitaspa.com/2011/05/envie/ Vitaspa (by Maax) at Crown Spas store: The Crown store has a great reputation & great warranty. We spent time talking with the guy and sat in the tub. It's really nice. Its on sale for $7300 but that doesn't include ozone or any extras. We're waiting to hear tomorrow on what he can do with the price. My husband likes that its not spray foam insulation. We've heard that Maax is a good brand as well. After looking at this last week, we thought it was too expensive but after deciding warranty and a better tub is important to us, we're willing to finance a higher price. They will also give 3 years warranty from their store on things that are usually 2 years. They said they could fill the tub for us to wet test it this week. We're leaning towards this one if they can bring down the price even more. Their quote today includes ozone, clearzone II uv, steps, & cover lifter but total is $8900.

5) http://www.calderaspas.com/en/shop/paradise/makena/#tech-specs The Caldera Makena from Hot Springs/Oasis dealer: We saw it tonight, but didn't have time to wet test it. It's a really nice looking tub. The price is on sale for $8800, but he would give us the floor model, taxes included for $8200. It comes with the spafrog bromine system. The lighting package is great and we love that their is actual handles that light up too. There are speakers installed, but no stereo. The price for ozone is kind of expensive, but I wanted to ask about whether we should just buy an ozone kit online and install it ourselves. Is it worth getting ozone? Guess that's kind of another topic. The dealer would include cover lifter and stairs, and give us a deal on railing and anything else we want. The no tax or free salt system ended last week, but he's willing to honor it, so it's a pretty great deal. This tub also has the best warranty out of all of them. 5 years on most things as opposed to only 2 or 3 years for the rest of the tubs we looked at. I think I may bus it down there and wet test it later. We've heard great things about the hotsprings brand - our friend has one. We originally wanted the flair, but the lounger was too short.

6) New addition to list: http://www.northwindhottubs.com/freedom.html Northwind Freedom: It's the largest out of all of them at 92x92 and 40 inches deep. The other tubs were either 36 or 38. They said for $7800 we could get the floor model with ozone, upgraded insulation, a lighting package, steps & free delivery. Warranty wasn't that great, but it could be upgraded. The thing is, this one has NO LOUNGER, and we think we want one. The guy says most people don't like loungers & if they had one on their first tub, they get no lounger on their 2nd. I'm going to make a new post to see what people think about loungers. Does anyone here own the Freedom or a Northwind tub. I have no idea what the quality or reputation is.

I also am not sure on what the best & easiest sanitation system for problem skin to use is - enzymes (we were told enzymes are the newest and greatest thing to use), bromine, chlorine, salt etc, and I'm not sure if we should let ozone included or not be a deciding factor. If ozone makes a big difference, would you recommend paying a lot more for the dealer to install it, or ordering one online. My husband is extremely handy, so it would be no problem for him to install himself. His (new, but small) construction company also has plumbers or electricians we can call on, (though my husband used to work with an electrician).

Anyway, thanks again for your time & answers. I can't wait to read what you all have to say & I hope you're all enjoying your hot tubs! I'm so happy to have found this forum. Trish :D

My ranking of those tubs would be in this order caldera, vita, northwinds and I know nothing about alps. The caldera is full foam and will be very energy efficient. Not a huge fan of the way vita insulates and also the way the inside of the tub looks is very messy. Have each open the cabinets up to get a look at the way each tub is built. They seem to be similar in price but the caldera comes with a better warranty. Hp in pumps is not a big deal it's all about the engineering of the tubs. I have seen tubs with 5 hp pumps feel much weaker then another tub with a 1 hp pump. Wet test both to get an idea

Ya know I watch this form all the time and i registered to give my two cents worth.

I bought the Down east exeter about 3 years back, did loads of research and listened to all the BS from people an the forums but I got to say its been a top tub.

They use the little sirculator pump and it dead quiet.

They use the full foam but its a new foam that does not get hard so if ya got a leak no worries.

The performance is good and never had a days trouble with it.

I was injured in a bad wreck and wet tested loads of tubs, the neck massage system in the Down east was top.

Just my two cents but there ya go

2. . Arctic Spa models are an exception, also Beachcomber to a lesser extent. Both Candian companies that build with an eye towards our "unique" climate.
I wonder who has more cold weather engineers Watkins or Arctic?

Watkins understands its spas go world wide to places that are super cold and engineers its spas for cold weather and in fact for all climates. It employs degreed Engineers with technical backgrounds, not guys who hang out at the beach and make hot tubs on the side. Energy efficiency never takes a back seat and its part of what has made the company what it is.

What company hangs out on the beach making hot tubs on the side? PLEASE share this information with us!

None that I know of but maybe the point got lost because that wasn't a meant as a veiled shot at someone else. It was meant to say just because spas are built in California doesn't mean they're not designed and built for cold weather. You can build hot tubs, winter coats, snow plows ... in a warm weather climate. Its about the design, materials, attention to detail in building it, testing, etc. that makes a good _______ , not the temperature outside of the building where they are made.

Beach like a lot of full foam manufacturers these days uses a light weight easy to remove foam. Limelight and Hot Spots foam can be removed with a shop vac. And it's recycled material. The argument about digging foam out will be a thing of the past soon. I never found it difficult to begin with when you use the right tools but.................it has always been the thermo pane peoples argument as to why they thought theirs was better.

Beach like a lot of full foam manufacturers these days uses a light weight easy to remove foam. Limelight and Hot Spots foam can be removed with a shop vac. And it's recycled material. The argument about digging foam out will be a thing of the past soon. I never found it difficult to begin with when you use the right tools but.................it has always been the thermo pane peoples argument as to why they thought theirs was better.

Thought so, just don't understand the guys post about buying used buy a beachcomber or a arctic when BC is also FF

I think his preference is to them because they are made in Canada versus the US. And he is from Canada I guess he thinks they build them for cold climate up there. Even though they have no advantage for building better cold climate tubs. Even though where Arctic tubs are built has a warmer average temp than Duluth Minnesota. Not that any manufacturers are in Duluth but it's not all that cold in Edmonton.

Great White - thanks for all the advice.

We decided we don't care about the stereo. We wet tested the Caldera Makena today. It was really nice, but not as massage or therapeutic like as I would have thought. It was nice and big for all of us, and my son & husband really liked the lounger. My son & I went & sat in a tub with motomassage. Oh boy, does that feel good. Those tubs are too expensive though. Tomorrow we are going to wet test the Vita spa which has 8 more jets.

We are getting awesome deals on both of them. Both are throwing in or giving big discounts on steps, cover lifter, ozone. The Vitaspa will also have uv, where the Caldera has the spa frog. The salesman did his best to try and get us to buy today, but he knows we're wet testing one tomorrow. I'll feel bad for whomever we don't pick because they really went over and above what the price usually is. It will just come down to whichever one feels better. I'm thinking I'd still like to sit in a bullfrog and try out the different jet packs, but I don't think we can afford a bullfrog. We never thought we'd spend this much money.

As for a cool down seat, that has always been a must for me, since I'm already a warm person & tend to get too hot in hot tubs. The vitaspa Envie not only has a cool down seat but also an extra step getting into it so it feels safer. I don't think it has a circ pump though like the Makena has.

Apollo, thanks for your opinion. We forgot to open the side of the Makena today, but we will be sure to open & check the Envie tomorrow to see how the insulation looks.

Anyway, I will be back tomorrow to let you know what we decide on.

Cheers, Trish

Wow you guys jumped all over Great White when he was actually giving very good information. Great White I think your information was great and unbiased which most people on here have a hard time doing.

Also Rodger I think I need you to train me and my guys on this easy way you cut out hot spring foam, even the dealer in my area quotes 2-3k for most leaks on their own product and always recommends just replacement....maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time of standing tubs up, ripping and chiseling out foam then putting them on blocks while I crawl under with a flash light on my head and start cutting and cleaning pipes. Maybe you have a better method then the 2 weeks and 1500-2500 I normally invoice for those repairs? Maybe I shouldn't ask because I am sure we must have done that 20-30 times last year.

Rodger or Hot Springs I honestly do not know this answer so you might have some experience with it. On Hot Springs new insulation (fibercore?) that can be removed with a shop vac...how do you get it back in after you removed it? I have talked to someone that said they cut open brown paper and all insulation fell out and they had no way to get it back in. This was last year and I never followed up, so since we are all here.

Wow you guys jumped all over Great White when he was actually giving very good information. Great White I think your information was great and unbiased which most people on here have a hard time doing.

Also Rodger I think I need you to train me and my guys on this easy way you cut out hot spring foam, even the dealer in my area quotes 2-3k for most leaks on their own product and always recommends just replacement....maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time of standing tubs up, ripping and chiseling out foam then putting them on blocks while I crawl under with a flash light on my head and start cutting and cleaning pipes. Maybe you have a better method then the 2 weeks and 1500-2500 I normally invoice for those repairs? Maybe I shouldn't ask because I am sure we must have done that 20-30 times last year.

Rodger or Hot Springs I honestly do not know this answer so you might have some experience with it. On Hot Springs new insulation (fibercore?) that can be removed with a shop vac...how do you get it back in after you removed it? I have talked to someone that said they cut open brown paper and all insulation fell out and they had no way to get it back in. This was last year and I never followed up, so since we are all here.

It wasn't factual though as beachcomber is a full foam tub

Have you ever seen a hot knife? Top secret. I stapled plastic over the brown paper I tore to get access. I just stapled the bottom first and up the sides part way and then stuffed insulation back in. Jeez you guys. It seems like the techs are not as smart in some parts of the country??? Or other country's. All simple stuff that I find hard to believe guys who do this stuff for a living haven't figured out?

• 5 weeks later...

Just updating those who replied to my topic. We realized we couldn't afford to buy a new tub right now, so we decided to wait. We kept an eye out on kijiji - a classified site. Last week we bought a 2005 Calspa Victory 500 model. No bells or whistles, but it turned out to be a great deal for $1900. We struggled with ph & alkalinity at first, and I'm trying to find a decent testing kit here in Canada. There's no way I'm paying $125 plus taxes & S&H for the Taylor k-2006 from Lowry & associates, so I'm trying to find someone who is going to the States to pick one up for me.

The seats aren't all molded, so it makes it easy to move around & fit lots of people in. Plus the lounger is straighter and flat where the feet are so we can use it as a step or cool down seat. We had overheating problems, so my husband changed the circuit board.

All in all, it was a great buy for the price. Once we can afford a new tub, at least we'll have more knowledge in what we want & how to take care of one.

Happy tubbing everyone!

Trish