New Hot Tub Purchase - Seeking Advice

cbuchin

Hello and thank you in advance for your help. We are purchasing a new hot tub - not our first, but the first time we've purchased ourselves. We are trying to stay under $7000. Powerful jets are my number one concern because I use the tub for serious therapy. I've been looking so far at Caldera - the Vacanza Series, Vanto ($6500 quote), fits our budget but I'm a bit concerned about power and its warranty. The Bullfrog is intriguing - I realize I'll never buy new jetpacks, but it is nice to start with a customized tub (I have a $7500 quote on the R6) I'm hoping to go look at the Dimension One tubs tomorrow but I have no idea if any are in my price range. I had thought the Costco Evolution and/or Divine series tubs looked good, but after reading some posts here I'm not so sure. One local company sells Riviera Spas - haven't been there yet. Also, we need to have at least one side at 84" or less due to space restrictions. Being a small-sized family (all under 5'4") a lounger is probably useless for us - I know our last Caldera spa lounger went unused. Any suggestions/ comments are much appreciated.

The Sundance is probably too pricey and we don't have a Marquia dealer in the area. I just saw the dimension one spas. I can get a 2011 model from the Home series - the Sojourn - for what I think is a great price...$6500. I think the shoulder/neck pillow jets look great. Unfortunately can't wet test but it looks and fits well dry.

Thoughts? Powerful jets?

Hi cbuchin,

Thanks for posting and your interest in Caldera! I've sent you a personal message with my direct contact information. I'd like to be a direct resource for you with any questions you may have on the Vanto. We have tremendous confidence in the performance of the spa and do back it up with a great warranty! We trust our product to the point that we encourage ratings and reviews right on our website. Click the link below to see what new owners are saying about the Vanto right now.

http://www.calderaspas.com/en/shop/vacanza/vanto/

We are here to help any time as well. 800-669-1881.

Thanks,

Steve

---Caldera Spas---

The Sundance is probably too pricey and we don't have a Marquia dealer in the area. I just saw the dimension one spas. I can get a 2011 model from the Home series - the Sojourn - for what I think is a great price...$6500. I think the shoulder/neck pillow jets look great. Unfortunately can't wet test but it looks and fits well dry.

Thoughts? Powerful jets?

A brand new Sojourn in 2011 should of sold for close to that price. I am not sure thats a very good deal for a 2-3 year old one. D1 Home series is just like Caldera Vacanza series or the Jacuzzi 200 or the Sundance 600 series. They are going to use name recognition while making a cheaper spa with not the same jetting or warranty/parts they used to earn the name in the first place.

The Caldera tub you talking about is going to use mostly small non adjustable jets that I wouldn't consider incredibly therapeutic, but give it a try for yourself...maybe you did and you like it. I do like their higher end but I get you have a budget restraint and they probably don't have anything in that price range.

See how low you can get an Aurora II from D1 for, and wet test that one...that thing rocks pretty well and would meet size needs. I recently worked in San Antonio for a dealer selling both Caldera and Vita and I used a couple spas and liked the Prestige better then the Moreno they had filled...maybe see if there is a Vita dealer near by, those jets were pretty awesome and would be close to price and size you need. Too bad no Marquis. I do like Bullfrogs even though most people hate them because they are different. But I would recommend wet testing exact model and jet packs you get...I have heard their new jetpack system ruined all their water pressure but I dont know that to be true yet.

Hmmm...I was so sure it was a good spa/deal. Also, while it is a 2 yr old model, it is unused and comes with full warranty. From the "look" of the jets, etc it seemed a step up from the Vacanza series.

The Aurora looks great! What would you consider a 'good' price for an Aurora? Vita dealer is about an hour away. Are they now under the same ownership as Maax....?

Thank you for your input!

Thoughts? Powerful jets?

I do like Bullfrogs even though most people hate them because they are different. But I would recommend wet testing exact model and jet packs you get...I have heard their new jetpack system ruined all their water pressure but I dont know that to be true yet.

The new jetpak system did not ruin the jet pressure

Sorry, didn't have time to elaborate when I posted earlier. The new jetpak system is actually a more efficient water delivery system. They eliminated the plumbing behind the jetpaks and replaced it with a patented manifold design. The old plumbing was porous on the outside which is where it could get funky behind the jetpaks if people did not properly maintain their water chemistry. The new design has eliminated that potential. They also continue to bring fresh water behind the jetpaks as well.

One of the cool features of the new jetpaks is that they now a control valve on it that lets each person adjust their own massage pressure. They are also significantly easier to swap out and move around. It really is an ingenious design. I know a couple of people on here will call it gimmicky, but I urge anyone shopping for a hot tub to see it in person and/or wet test for yourself. I love seeing the reaction of customers who have wet tested other brands. When they get in a Bullfrog, they fall in love.

Thoughts? Powerful jets?

A brand new Sojourn in 2011 should of sold for close to that price. I am not sure thats a very good deal for a 2-3 year old one. D1 Home series is just like Caldera Vacanza series or the Jacuzzi 200 or the Sundance 600 series. They are going to use name recognition while making a cheaper spa with not the same jetting or warranty/parts they used to earn the name in the first place.

The Caldera tub you talking about is going to use mostly small non adjustable jets that I wouldn't consider incredibly therapeutic, but give it a try for yourself...maybe you did and you like it. I do like their higher end but I get you have a budget restraint and they probably don't have anything in that price range.

See how low you can get an Aurora II from D1 for, and wet test that one...that thing rocks pretty well and would meet size needs. I recently worked in San Antonio for a dealer selling both Caldera and Vita and I used a couple spas and liked the Prestige better then the Moreno they had filled...maybe see if there is a Vita dealer near by, those jets were pretty awesome and would be close to price and size you need. Too bad no Marquis. I do like Bullfrogs even though most people hate them because they are different. But I would recommend wet testing exact model and jet packs you get...I have heard their new jetpack system ruined all their water pressure but I dont know that to be true yet.

I agree with this post. I also think Marquis along with D1 are unmatched in the power category. Hot Springs also seemed underpowered to me. But everyone is different.

I'm the one MH is talking about on the Bullfrog. Gimicy, worth nothing to improve longevity, energy efficiency or quality. While I don't hate them as certain people say, and do think they have a decent tub. As I have said many times. There are better options out there. But call it hate if you want.

What is year is the newest Bullfrog that you have seen? They have come a long way over the last several years. They are extremely energy efficient. By removing the plumbing, there is a lot more room for insulation. Take away all of the other benefits like reduced plumbing and therefore friction, less holes in the shell, placing jet fittings in the water instead of underneath buried in foam, plastic frame with lifetime warranty, being able to get full power in every seat without needing a diverter valve, etc.... and you still have the only hot tub in the industry with which you can customize the massage in every seat. If you get it home and find that you don't like one of the jetpaks, you can simply trade it in for another. You don't need any tools other than your hands, and it takes all of 5 seconds. How anyone can call this gimmicky is beyond me. You sound like my Grandpa complaining about the Beatles and that damned rock and roll music that was just a fad.

This design makes sense. It is one the biggest innovations ever in an industry that is slow to change. Every time something new and exciting comes out, the dinosaurs cry gimmicky. I remember in the early 90's when companies started putting a decent amount of jets in tubs, the old guys cried then too. In the end, it all comes down to what consumers want. With the significant growth Bullfrog is experiencing, I'll chalk that up to a great design that customer's appreciate.

You sound like my Grandpa complaining about the Beatles and that damned rock and roll music that was just a fad.

...and you sound like a Bullfrog salesman. I give them credit for being different at least but are their differences more than just sales tools? I and some others are not convinced that they're better, just different but that doesn't mean we think they're crap either but please don't make it sound like they're building rocket ships while others are building paper airplanes.

Gimmicky sales pitch. Arctic used fully customizable for a long time also. Go sell some bullfrogs.

By the way I saw a 2013 at Sundance Spas of Minnesota in Lakeville. Looked OK. Nothing special. Had a long talk with the owner. He sells several others that have more power and a better feel. He's only sold a few extra jet packs.

I said WET TEST because what I heard and it was from a friend who used to work from bullfrog who I called asking. I have always liked bullfrog, when I listed my favorite tubs they were at top with a couple others.

Yes Vita is owned by Maax now. Make the drive and sit in the prestige (call first) think you'll be happy you did.

As far as good price on aurora 2 I don't know. See what the best price you can get on it, I would assume you can get it into your price range. I just remember the @home series being the 4000-6000 range couple years back when I dealt with them more. Which was around 2011.

Rodger when you say "there are better tubs out there" explain what tubs and why. Because I think "better" is a matter of opinion and in my opinion there isn't. Bullfrog builds a great tub and I don't think you can say there are better...every tub has pros and cons. I think other companies do a better job of filtering and sanitizing water, but bullfrog has better structure, just as good insulation and if the new jet packs perform well I like those too. I still say wet test, especially because I'm not sure what model they have that gets into that 6-7 thousand.

Loopcity-can you adjust the jets on the jet packs...like turn the jet on and off individually?

Each JetPak has it's own control valve. It allows very precise adjustment. All of the non-jetpak jets are individually adjustable. The neck and shoulder jetpaks have 2 control valves. One for neck jets and one for back. No other tub allows the user to customize their massage like a Bullfrog.

I'm not here to say they are or are not better than other brands. There are plenty of great hot tubs out there. I just can't stand by while someone bashes them who obviously has very little experience with them. We have hundreds of customer's who have owned the so called "top brands" in the past. They almost unanimously tell us that their new Bullfrog is a game changer. I hear this kind of stuff from our customer's so often that it's hard to ignore. It also just happens to align with my own personal opinion that comes from being in this industry for almost 2 decades.

There are plenty of great choices out there, I would just hate to have someone dismiss Bullfrog as gimicky without first checking them out for themselves. It may not be the right choice for everyone. This is why I sell multiple brands.

I am new to the spa world. Have been enjoying a Jacuzzi j345 for 2weeks. Started shopping at lower price point but very happy with end product ($7,300 for spa and accessories, good warranty, good dealer reputation -- 220 and base costs not included).

All about the wet test for us. We where about to buy Caldera but found open seating and jet action of Jacuzzi more to our liking (with diverters the power is as much as I would ever want without losing the massage feel of the jets).

Also liked HotSprings but seating not as open, motojet seemed more gimmick than plus.

Local Bull Frog dealer was not helpful so we really did not give that tub a fair shot.

• 2 weeks later...

You can purchase Hot Tubs and Spas from XXXXXXXX.Because XXXXXXXX sells hot tubs and spas from XXXXX Spa Lounge dealer and they will provide you within limited budget that you can afford.

XXXXXX Spa Hot Tub will also give Full spa and Hydrotherapy Experience. Contact No: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Glady, your IP number puts you in the country of India. How is it you're so knowledgeable about an American company?

p.s., I X'ed out all the "pertinent" parts of your post. You're welcome to repost, IF you can convince me you're not a spammer.

Maxx and Bullfrog trying to be big league.....This is good. They need to start with making a better tub. Get the fit and finish right first. Then send out the shills.

I love Rodger says he is in the shipping industry yet he knows so much about all these other tubs.

I still think you work for hot springs and/or D1 dealer or a rep...but thats just me. Here is why, its a little far fetched as a plumber working on hot tubs part time in a small market that probably doesn't sell much more then 500 hot tubs a year but, you know so much about every brand and what companies are "trying" to accomplish? You hate new gimmicky things but own a D1, well do the neck flex pillows not just disgust you as a part that breaks collects bacteria and sprays everywhere? How about the MDRIVE worst topside ever? I see you always critisizing these other brands but never making mention that EVERY company tries new things, some good some bad, but you want to say all bad. You actually like the spa frog system...umm hello its bromine and nature II but they make it sound like the tub cleans itself...not one peep about those things. *end rant*

Yesterday I got a Maax351 7 years old and its one of the sexiest used tubs I have had in some time. I just sold a Bullfrog 251 and had customers beating down my door to buy it. Also one heck of a sexy hot tub and was around the same age. People LOVE it. But hey what do I know? I only work in the hot tub industry full time 100s of hours a week it seems.

cbuchin,

Glad Bullfrog Spas is on your list of considerations. There are obviously some strong opinions about our product. We must be doing something right :) The advice to wet test is sound. Please do. It is true that each JetPak in our new JetPak Therapy System (2013 and newer) has a valve to control the flow precisely. If powerful jets and getting the personalized massages you like is important to you, we're confident we'll be in the running for you. If you'd like to ask any questions off the board please do. Either on this site, or through info@bullfrogspas.com. We'll be happy to help.

Best of luck to you!

Bullfrog Spas Support

Maxx and Bullfrog trying to be big league.....This is good. They need to start with making a better tub. Get the fit and finish right first. Then send out the shills.

I love Rodger says he is in the shipping industry yet he knows so much about all these other tubs.

I still think you work for hot springs and/or D1 dealer or a rep...but thats just me. Here is why, its a little far fetched as a plumber working on hot tubs part time in a small market that probably doesn't sell much more then 500 hot tubs a year but, you know so much about every brand and what companies are "trying" to accomplish? You hate new gimmicky things but own a D1, well do the neck flex pillows not just disgust you as a part that breaks collects bacteria and sprays everywhere? How about the MDRIVE worst topside ever? I see you always critisizing these other brands but never making mention that EVERY company tries new things, some good some bad, but you want to say all bad. You actually like the spa frog system...umm hello its bromine and nature II but they make it sound like the tub cleans itself...not one peep about those things. *end rant*

Yesterday I got a Maax351 7 years old and its one of the sexiest used tubs I have had in some time. I just sold a Bullfrog 251 and had customers beating down my door to buy it. Also one heck of a sexy hot tub and was around the same age. People LOVE it. But hey what do I know? I only work in the hot tub industry full time 100s of hours a week it seems.

Oh boy where to start. I'd say I work on about 10-20 tubs a year. 28 years in plumbing that's oh maybe 300-400 hot tub jobs total plus some pools and saunas slipped in. I don't work for a shipping company not sure where you got that? There's no d in my name, not sure where you got that? Not sure where you found out I owned a D1, cause I don't. I don't own a tub now and have had 3 in 2013 that have all sold and all were used. Not sure what makes you think I know about every brand when actually there's only about 15 brands around my area. But I've seen a few more than that. Your right about a couple things. I don't like the neck flex pillows or the moto massage. Oh wait there's more. I like the spa frog? Not sure where that came from. I'm not a fan of bromine. The last tub I had was a Cal Spa and it was 9 years old and awesome. The price tag was the best part, free.

You should at least have your facts straight before you post.