Hot Tub Wont Heat ( Old Jacuzzi Scm Model Caressa)

Ullr

Hi!

Im new to this forum, I just acquired a older model Jacuzzi hot tub. The model is 8780000 ( Caressa). Got a pretty good deal on it since it doesnt leak, and all the side wood is in great condition. Its wired for 115vac 20 amp. I ran a dedicated line (gfci of course) and bonded the tub to code. However when we plugged it in the first time we realized it wasnt heating after 24 hours it didnt warm up not even a degree. After looking up some information I realized it could be the heating element. Below is what I did to replace it

• Unplugged the tub
  • drained the tub to below jet level
  • loosened the four hose clamps
  • removed the bond bar line from top of the manifold
  • unscrewed the high limit housing from the manifold
  • removed the connection to the element prongs
  • Carefully slid out the thermister for the high level switch

I noticed that the old element was welded into the manifold below is how i replaced it

• Used a band saw and cut the exposed prongs off the manifold
  • Used a grinder to grind the remaining prong flush to the manifold
  • Used a 1/4 drill bit to break the weld around the element
  • I ordered a new element ( its a little shorter 10" vs 16" however what I read it doesnt matter
  • Bored out the 1/4 holes to fit the 1/2 bolts for the new element
  • Verified that the element had o-rings
  • Tightened the nuts to the bolts ( careful not to over torque)
  • Cleaned the Hot wire and the neutral wire from the hot tub panel with a wire brush
  • crimped new connectors to work with the new element
  • Moved the ground ( didnt like the ground to the manifold, bad idea so i moved it to the bond bar)
  • Re installed the manifold and tightened the hose clamps.

When I removed the old element , it was obvious to me that it needed replacement ( calcium build up, and rust was all over it, it one area it looked like it burst, maybe at some point it was hot ran? i dont know.

After doing all this I was excited we were excited that we were finally going to be able to enjoy our tub ( winters coming) However it didnt ( I let the tub sit for 12 hours in the HTR/Filter mode, its only a 115 20 amp tub so i figured it would heat 1-2°F per hour but yeah it didnt) . Below are all the steps I did so far

• Made sure high temp switch isnt open
  • Checked voltage to the new element ( 120v each)
  • checked relays all seem to be working, each read positive off the ground and the magnetic coils seem to be in good shape
  • Replaced the Filter
  • The jets work, and the HTR/Filter button does move water around so my circulating pump works
  • The turn dial thermostat initiates the the relays to turn the tub, and the heater on indicating light works

Is there something I missed? I consider my self more than the average do it yourself kinda guy. My background is mechanical engineering so that's why I was so excited to get this older SCM tub.

if anyone can help me troubleshoot please feel free! I want it to get up and running before winter. There isnt much online for troubleshooting these tubs.

thanks!

i don't see anywhere where you used a multimeter to see if you were getting power 110v to the heater. I am not familiar with how this tub works or it's error codes but there has to be moving water in order to heat it. Is there a circulation pump. are you getting flow? Is there an air lock in the heater that is not allowing water to flow through it? Use your multimeter to find out where there is no power when there should be. Follow the circuit.

Hi arches 2 thank you so much for replying ...

I did mention that I checked the power to the element,it is getting power and the circulation pump is on since water is flowing...

Your mention of an air lock may be valid ill check that and reply... Any other ideas? It's an older tub so I didn't expect a quick and easy install/ troubleshoot

I used the multimeter and connected the red wire off the multimeter to the black wire ( positive) on the spa ( connected to the element), i connected the black on the multimeter to the ground and it read 120v.... I then connected the the neautral wire on the spa to the red cable on the multimeter, and did the same with the ground and it read 120v