Right Variable Speed Pump For Pool Size

Extreme23

I want to upgrade my Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump to a more energy efficient variable speed pump. My pool is 19x23 13,500 gallon pool that is 5ft in the deepest section with no spa attached, and I want to make sure that I am not going to purchase a pump that is overkill my my size pool. I am averaging 28 kWh a day at an average cost of .22 and hour. I originally was interested in purchasing the Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, but then talked with a Hayward Rep at my local pool store was steering me toward the Hayward Max-Flo VS which is less horsepower and $$, and explains that it will save the same amount of money as the Pentair. Again, I have a small pool, and want to know if anyone has either of these cost effective variable speed pumps.

IMG_1167.jpgIMG_1173.jpgIMG_1170.jpg

a Hayward Rep at my local pool store was steering me toward the Hayward Max-Flo VS which is less horsepower.

Of course he did, he is a Hayward rep! You should have asked him how it can be less hp when it is a variable speed and you can dial it down to any hp you want?

To be fair, any variable speed pump will fit your pool. That's the nice thing about variable speed pumps, you can turn them down (speed)so they fit any pool up to 3.5 hp.

At this point it would boil down to price and warranty i suppose.

Personally, i recommend the Pentair, they give two years on that pump. I haven't had a failure out of warranty yet.

• 2 weeks later...

the max flo would be sufficient for your system and would not cost as much as the intelliflo would initially.

But over the long term (i think), the Sta-Rite/Pentair would give more savings... Hayward claims up to 80%, while the Sta-Rite/ Pentair claims up to 90%. Making the purchase of either still (more or less) a push as far as cost vs savings. Pay a little more for the Sta-Rite but it pays for itself sooner.

Six vs.1/2 dozen.