Inspecting My Flow Switch

spahoo

Hi --

I've been searching for how to troubleshoot my problem, and have found substantial help, but still unclear on a couple things....

I have a 2006 (I think) sundance optima. BEFORE i recently drained and cleaned it, I started getting a Flo error. I went ahead with my plan to clean it that day, filled it back up, blasted out the air in the system as I have before when I'd get an air-related flo error after filling, cleaned/replaced the filter, and still have the Flo error. It also occurs if I turn it on without the filter in place.

pump 1 and pump 2 still work and shoot water like normal. But the circulator that runs continuously doesn't operate and of course the water isn't being heated.

I opened it up and found the flow switch. when i manually turn on pump 1 and 2, it appears that water flows through the switch. I see two little metal things pointed downwards inside the switch that I assume are supposed to make contact when water is flowing and close the switch. If they do not move when water flows, does that mean the flow switch is the problem?

I tried to make a jumper wire out of a paperclip and inserted it into the holes on top of the switch, but that didn't correct the problem. I assume that is supposed to bypass the switch and let the heater run as a diagnostic maneuver. However I am not sure if I am doing that test correctly.

I appreciate any guidance, and apologize if I sound like an idiot.

thanks

The flow switch is a magnetic proximity switch, the flapper does not need to make contact with the post in order to work. Adequate flow will push it close enough to the sensor to satisfy the computer. If you have flow through the tube, you should see the flapper moving a little back and forth. If your circ pump is not running, you will get a flow error, whether or not the flow switch is bad.

Check the fuses on your board and see if the circulation pump's is blown.

You really need to meter to troubleshoot anything, as well as your senses.

The flow switch should show OL (open line, no continuity) when the pumps are not running, and should show no resistance (0.0 or 0.1ohms) when water is flowing. Sometimes, if a flow switch reads flow when there isn't any, the logic on the circuiot board it will shut down the tub, depending on the logic on the board.

It sounds as though the circ pump is simply not working, and the flow switch is giving you a flow error because.... there's no flow.