Sundance Cameo Electrical Issue

ske

I recently purchase a used Sundance Cameo built in 2004 and installed it at my home. Finally got it set, filled and powered up but it only ran for about 30 min then shut down. The LCD showed "FLO" message and would not respond to control panel prompts. I powered off and back on several time and at the direction of some threads I gently tapped the flow switch with the butt of a screw driver. The switch closed and the tub went back into filter cycle. I thought great, maybe it just needed to be exercised. 30 min later same thing, so I repeated the process several times.

The next day I flip the cover and I've got ---- across the display. I do a little research and learn it's in watch dog mode and could be caused by a bad flow switch. I tap on the flow switch and it starts working again. After several days of this finally I get the flo message on the display that I cannot clear by tapping on the flow switch so I decide, it's dead time to replace. I purchased one from the local dealer so I wouldn't have to wait on shipping and have all my water and chemicals go to waste. Get home this evening, install the switch and a whole set of new problems....

Now my display shows "8.8.8." and sometimes flickers, also the spa light is flickering all the time. Nothing I do has any effect. I have reversed the wires from the new flow switch. Turned off and on power to the spa many times. I even re-installed the old flow switch to see if it would revert back but nothing. Still "8.8.8." on the display and a flickering spa light. I would really appreciate any input from anyone with an idea on what is going on here.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post a follow up to my issues. I unplugged the auxillary panel as suggested with no change. Rather than start throwing money at parts I had my local Sundance dealer send out a repair tech and at first glance he say's "oh yah, it's your main board". I said "what makes you so sure just by looking, is it the capacitors"? Yep, he says. The 2 large ones were slightly bulged, very slightly but he says thats all it takes on these boards. He replaced my board with a new one which is not the identical board but is the correct board according to all the research I've done as there was a board change for this model. After replacing the board and powering up the spa came to life but still did not have full functions on the topside panel. Both pumps would run on high speed and air blower functioned but no heat control or filter cycle control. So he says looks like the topside board is bad as well. He tested with a used topside he had on the truck and all seemed to work but didn't have a new one with him so he had to order one.

Topside came in on Friday and was installed late Friday afternoon and all seemed to be working. He buttoned everything up and left and I went about my yard work. I did notice while he was installing the topside it didn't say Sundance on it but rather just had a logo on it which I reconized from earlier web searches from a company called Allied Innovations that only sells to authorized distributors. I asked if thats where they got the panel but he assured me since they are a Sundance dealer they only order from Sundance. Maybe this is who is building panels for Sundance, I don't know but figured as long as it works I dont care if it says Sundance or not. Saturday morning I get in the tub and am noticing several issues.

1. Pump no. 1, which is a 2 speed pump only operates on high. There doesn't seem to be a low position. One push of the button and it's on high, second push of the button and it's off. Could this just be a jumper setting on the board?

2. My heater does not operate when both pumps are on high. I specifically asked him to set the jumper settings for a 60 amp service which I have, so this would not be an issue. I am suspecting he just forgot to do this or did it incorrectly.

3. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set my filter cycles. When I follow the programming instructions from the Cameo manual I do not get the expected display readouts and have not been able to make any sense of it.

There are some other display readouts that I am not familiar with but these are the main issues. As this is a holiday weekend I will have to wait till tommorrow morning to contact the dealer but figured I see if anybody had any input in the mean time.

Sounds like he didn't jumper the new board correctly. I am heading out for a long day today, so do not have time to post the info right now, but I have the jumper list for the new board here. I will post it later if nobody else beats me to it.

John

I found the jumper schematic online and I believe the 2 speed pump issue and heater issue are definitely jumper settings but don't want to change them until I either get the OK from the tech or he comes out and does it. Don't want to have something happen and have them tell me I voided the warranty on the parts because I did it. I called them and informed them of the issues yesterday morning but still haven't heard back from the tech.

Will the jumper settings affect the programming of filter cycles? This is the one that really has me puzzeled...

Still not sure wether or not this is a "genuine" Sundance top side but after talking to the tech this morning and getting the OK from them to change the jumpers all is well. We figured that I was not able to do any filter cycle programming since the low speed on pump 1 was disabled and this is the mode used for the filter cycles.