Pump And Heating Controller Placement

JWentler

Hi. Been a while since I've visited. Great job on the new site!!!

I searched but couldn't find any sub forums (yet) about installing new spa hardware. Did these not make the move over? Or am I making up stuff?

We have a very old hot tub/spa (name I don't know) whose heating element and controller finally gave out. After noodling on this for way too I finally pull the trigger on a new digital heating controller. This was kinda spur of the moment and now that it arrive late last night I'm a bit confused on how to put this line line with the pump. I beleive it should go left to right - output side of the pump? The other question is how many 90 degree bends can I have? The new heating element is much lower, so I'm not sure how many bends I can get away with. Or is it possible to use a flexible hose as opposed to rigid pipe, to make sweeping bends?

tl;dr Bought new heating controller and need to know pipe placement and order for proper water flow.

There is a mathematical formula for calculating friction loss for the length/size of pipe, number of bends, type of bends (45's, 90's, sweeps), flow rate, etc. that you must calculate, taking into account the required flow rate of the jets and the residual pressure required at the jet nozzles. The trick is to try to have the exact number of bends and pipe size that the original pack had. If you can match it, even reasonably close, you don't have to re-engineer the setup and choose another pump. That's the rub though. If you start adding more and/or tighter bends, your friction loss will skyrocket and your jet action will begin to diminish when using the existing pump.

John