Laars Lite2 Heater Problem

bsrodgers

I have been battling my Lite 2 heater for two years now. I purchased and installed this heater maybe 8-10 years ago. Heater worked fine, but the last couple of years I have been getting the FL 0 and the FL 2 code. The pilot igniter will come on, the gas valve opens, the burner lights, stays on for ~ 10 seconds and then goes out. One thing I have noticed is on the LED display, it illustrates the burner opening as a solid horizontal line that appears in a "heater cartoon". When operating properly, dancing vertical lines would appear above the horizontal line to let you know the heater was on. Those vertical lines no longer show up. LED display will usually say FL 0, has said FL 2 sometimes.

The FL 0 code is associated with poor flow through the heater as measured by the pressure switch. I have checked the pressure switch and it seems to be functioning properly (normally closed and stays closed, even jumped the circuit). I really have checked all of the safety switches in the series (all supposed to stay closed) and not found any opening. Cleaned the DE filter and do not believe there is an obstruction or reduced water flow. The plumbing returns have good pressure.

Local pool company said it must be a bad flame sensor and replaced the sensor but that didn't fix the problem, Thinking about replacing the pressure switch, but - based on continuity, that shouldn't be the problem.

Maybe the board is bad but it seems ok. Before spending $300+ on a new board, would like to know this is the problem. Any ideas???

Bad flame sensor , or clogged first rail would shut down the heater sooner than 10 seconds. Less than 5 really. If your board is saying no/low flow, and your pressure switch is closed, AND the wires leading to and from the pressure switch have not been chewed, Main board sounds like the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I have replaced the flame sensor (~$125; R0267200), replaced the pressure switch ($65; R0013200), replaced the control board ($225; R0366800) and still no luck. Pool company sent technician out today and he didn't understand why the FL 0 code was coming up, when the "new" pressure switch is even jumped. Taking a guess that it could be 115/215 conversion plug, since this was not provided when I purchased the new control board and I had to take it from the old and stick on the new. Just a guess at this point. Ordered this new part and also ordered a new wiring harness. Should have a completely new electrical system, with the exception of the heater control assemble ($240, R0366200).

What a very discouraging experience.

You have an FL ZERO code, not an FLO code. Not a flow issue but i believe a flame issue. Check all the rails of the burner tray make sure that when it fires that ALL rails are firing. The flame sensor hangs over rail #1 on some models, and on some hang over the middle-ish rail(s). If the rail under the sensor is clogged and not firing, you will not get flame rectification, and the heater will shut down in a couple of seconds.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23697

• 6 years later...