Chorine Or Bromine

Thank you Steve from Caldera Spas for your input. We are currently using bromine tablets in a floater. I just took the floater out of the spa. You mentioned that the tablets can damage the shell of the spa. We will be switching to chlorine granuals. We will broadcast it into the spa. The spa should be running when we do this, is this correct?

We will drain the spa when we do this. I wish the spa place where we bought the tablets told us this before we purchased them!!

Also the chlorine is much more affordable than the bromine.

Any other suggestions ?

You're on your way, Rosanna! Always add your chemicals directly to the filter compartment with the jets running!

Thanks,

Steve

---Caldera Spas---

So, are you saying that all the people using bromine floaters (which, by extension, would include everyone using the popular 3-step bromine process) are damaging their spa shells? I've been doing this for about 3 years with my Marquis and have not noticed any damage to my acrylic. My understanding is that, unless the bromine floater gets stuck in one place, it won't harm the shell.

Bromine gets my vote. In my expersience as a spa owner, Chlorine monitoring and mainaitning is too frequent.

I actually changed from Chlorine to Bromine because my busy schedule did not suite Chlorine.

I can leave my tub for 5+ days and come back to perfect ready to enter water. Where as Chlorine needed monitoring/adjustment every 3 days. It took a while to get use to the Bromine tab cycles, but now I use less tabs and have a general feel for tab life per tub usage.

Bromine gets my vote. In my expersience as a spa owner, Chlorine monitoring and mainaitning is too frequent.

I actually changed from Chlorine to Bromine because my busy schedule did not suite Chlorine.

I can leave my tub for 5+ days and come back to perfect ready to enter water. Where as Chlorine needed monitoring/adjustment every 3 days. It took a while to get use to the Bromine tab cycles, but now I use less tabs and have a general feel for tab life per tub usage.

Chlorine gets my vote for all the same reasons. I have used Chlorine for 30+ years and never understand why people think anything could be easier. My water is cleaner/clearer then just about any I have seen.

Generally speaking, if one uses the spa frequently, every day or two, then chlorine is easy because you just dose after you get out, but if you use the spa less frequently, only once a week or so only on weekends, then chlorine is more difficult because you need to dose in between soaks and if you have an ozonator that increases chlorine demand in between soaks so you'd have to add chlorine every day or two.

So the answer depends on the specifics of the situation which is why some prefer one approach over the other. Of course, there are other alternatives to chlorine dosing that help with automation such as the saltwater chlorine generator ControlOMatic TechniChlor.

I use the dichlor/bleach method. It is cheap and easy,

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23090

My wife and I soak four or more days a week, it is a part of our routine to splash a little bleach in the spa after each soak

Hi Dave, good to see that Dichlor-then-bleach is still working out well for you. Oftentimes something is proposed, people use it and say it's fine, then don't report back long-term so it's hard to know if it's still working out so I'm glad to hear from you.

Thanks chem geek, I've been using the Dichlor then bleach method since I read about it here, about six years, I have had no problems.

Dave

There is also the Mineral Stick method. I just put a mineral stick in the filter, and use non-cholinated shock after each use. If the water gets cloudy or tinted, I just toss in some dichlor. Thinking about switching to chlorine as the mineral stick doesn't seem to work that great for me with only non-chorinated shock. Always tests low on MPS, gets green tint, and needs to have dichlor added.

A chart that I used once upon a time:

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/hot-tub-sanitizer-comparison.htm