2005 D1 Sarena Bay Problems

spaspa27

My neighbor is selling a 2005 D1 Sarena Bay. The upper control has water condensation and is difficult to read but still works and is the spa's second unit. The heater and circ pump have also been replaced. He is offering it for $5,000, but are these problems things that tend to reoccur? I have heard some unhappy customers about their upper control with D1, I just don't want to buy something that will need extensive repair a few years later. Thanks!

The upper controls are a constant problem on the D1's. The screen fades every few years. Small circ pumps are a problem on all brands of tubs, not just D1. Heater failures are generally due to poor water quality or poor water chemistry.

John

My neighbor is selling a 2005 D1 Sarena Bay. The upper control has water condensation and is difficult to read but still works and is the spa's second unit. The heater and circ pump have also been replaced. He is offering it for $5,000, but are these problems things that tend to reoccur? I have heard some unhappy customers about their upper control with D1, I just don't want to buy something that will need extensive repair a few years later. Thanks!

As a very general rule I'd start with the assumption of an unknown 8 year old spa being worth about 20% of its original value (1 yr old 60% since its not new and no longer under warranty since warranties don't transfer, 2nd yr, 50%, 3rd yr, 45%, 4th yr 40%, 5th yr 35% ... 8th yr 20%). However, condition is everything on a used spa so of course if its in fantastic shape maybe you give as much as 35% and at the same time if its operational but has a few issues maybe only 10%.

There is no way I'd give $5000 for any 8 year old Sarena, even if this one had zero issues and in this case you already know you'll have to replace the topside fairly soon and they're not cheap. That price isn't even in the ballpark IMO. Good fences and fair deals makes good neighbors. Keep the friendship, pass on the spa. Maybe if he tries to sell it and realizes he won't get near that price you can get it later for no more than half that price but right now he's asking way too much though in his defense he may not realize that.

As a very general rule I'd start with the assumption of an unknown 8 year old spa being worth about 20% of its original value (1 yr old 60% since its not new and no longer under warranty since warranties don't transfer, 2nd yr, 50%, 3rd yr, 45%, 4th yr 40%, 5th yr 35% ... 8th yr 20%). However, condition is everything on a used spa so of course if its in fantastic shape maybe you give as much as 35% and at the same time if its operational but has a few issues maybe only 10%.

There is no way I'd give $5000 for any 8 year old Sarena, even if this one had zero issues and in this case you already know you'll have to replace the topside fairly soon and they're not cheap. That price isn't even in the ballpark IMO. Good fences and fair deals makes good neighbors. Keep the friendship, pass on the spa. Maybe if he tries to sell it and realizes he won't get near that price you can get it later for no more than half that price but right now he's asking way too much though in his defense he may not realize that.

Agreed