Acrylic Shell Patch Disaster: Help!

cguillas

I inherited this Savannah Tremblant and am getting it ready to run. The tub doesn't leak at all but it is definitely in need of some love.

The previous owner got it cheap because the shell had been damaged. It was patched by the dealer but the dealer didn't bother to match the colour. (Or smooth the finish. Or anything, really.)

The patch itself has held up over time but the paint or epoxy or whatever it was that they applied to cover the patch has not. It has separated from the patch and has flaked off, revealing significant discolouration.

Here, I hope you're sitting down, because this is what it looks like:

TDugiZc.jpg

The patch area is about 15"x8".

I'm not extremely concerned that the acrylic be perfect but I want something that will bond to the patch and be blue or mineral mottled similarly.

What should I use? Paint? Multitech granite patch? Should I grind off the old topcoat?

Any advice would e greatly appreciated. Well, almost any. Don't tell me to toss it. She's got life in her yet.

Yikes! Those are twice the price of other products I've seen and the site doesn't give any information about size of patch or suitability for this application or even any details about the colours.

Have you patched a tub in this fashion before or are you just someone trying to sell me a cal spas product?

I don't mind looking at this further but if you're a sales person, you're going to have to do a better job pitching me your product.