First Time Tub Owner

I have just recently purchased an Arctic Spa Cub Designer Tub after several years of looking at different designs and manufacturers, this one seemed to be most suited to my family. What i am looking for are suggestions on chemical use. It comes with the standard ozonater (I did not opt for the "Peak Ozone" as i really don't see a need for it), and i have a 2 year old daughter, with another on the way who will be using the tub (the newborn will have to wait awhile, but my 2 year old just loves hot tubs as we go to my in-laws all the time, and it's great to relax her muscles since she has mild cerebral palsy). The store i bought my tub from is setting me up with a chemical package and some "training", but after reading through the many posts here it seems as though there are people with many years experience with great input. What types of chemicals would be best to use in my spa? (Chlorine vs. Bromine . . . i like bromine since it isn't as caustic as chlorine, but is it possible to keep a tub clean with kids probably peeing occasionaly in it and using bromine? Or would I have to put so much bromine in that i may as well stick with chlorine?). Also, i've read that different chemicals are better for certain spa shells. I'm not exactly sure what my shell is, i know i have the microban type shell, but that's about it. Thanks for any input the more experienced can give me.

In addition, i've read a lot of posts from people looking to buy and asking what type of spa to purchase and what not to purchase. Although there are a few brands out there i would stear clear from after much research, I won't name them. After about 3 years of looking at my options, i decided on an arctic spa for several reasons: The seating arrangement, comfort of seating, company reputation, types of jets, and of course the knowledge and reputation of the local dealer. My inlaws have a different brand of spa (and it's full foam), it's a great spa as well, but i didn't like the seating arrangements that company had. So for all those out there still looking, i've found it's a matter of personal taste and while there are a few to stear clear from, don't close the door on options and wet test if possible (any reputable dealer will allow you to do this, almost all in my town told me to drop by sometime and hop in a tub to try it out).

I look forward to being a new member of this board and thank everyone for insights and tips!

I have just recently purchased an Arctic Spa Cub Designer Tub after several years of looking at different designs and manufacturers, this one seemed to be most suited to my family. What i am looking for are suggestions on chemical use. It comes with the standard ozonater (I did not opt for the "Peak Ozone" as i really don't see a need for it), and i have a 2 year old daughter, with another on the way who will be using the tub (the newborn will have to wait awhile, but my 2 year old just loves hot tubs as we go to my in-laws all the time, and it's great to relax her muscles since she has mild cerebral palsy). The store i bought my tub from is setting me up with a chemical package and some "training", but after reading through the many posts here it seems as though there are people with many years experience with great input. What types of chemicals would be best to use in my spa? (Chlorine vs. Bromine . . . i like bromine since it isn't as caustic as chlorine, but is it possible to keep a tub clean with kids probably peeing occasionaly in it and using bromine?Or would I have to put so much bromine in that i may as well stick with chlorine?).

It's funny how people think bromine is not as bad as chlorine, the active ingrediant in bromine is chlorine. Bromine from a dispensor is constantly being added to your tub. Chlorine granuals (dichlor) is added after use to a level that kills everything, then dissapates for your next use down to a level of almost 0. In my opinion from my experience with both types of sanitizer you smell more chlorine from bromine use than you do from dichlor use.

Also, i've read that different chemicals are better for certain spa shells. I'm not exactly sure what my shell is, i know i have the microban type shell, but that's about it. Thanks for any input the more experienced can give me.

Not sure where you got this information but 90 percent of the tubs out there, including yours, are fiberglass backed acrylic, microban or not, sanitizer choice and shell make up have absolutly no bearing on each other

In addition, i've read a lot of posts from people looking to buy and asking what type of spa to purchase and what not to purchase. Although there are a few brands out there i would stear clear from after much research, I won't name them. After about 3 years of looking at my options, i decided on an arctic spa for several reasons: The seating arrangement, comfort of seating, company reputation, types of jets, and of course the knowledge and reputation of the local dealer. My inlaws have a different brand of spa (and it's full foam), it's a great spa as well, but i didn't like the seating arrangements that company had. So for all those out there still looking, i've found it's a matter of personal taste and while there are a few to stear clear from, don't close the door on options and wet test if possible (any reputable dealer will allow you to do this, almost all in my town told me to drop by sometime and hop in a tub to try it out).

I look forward to being a new member of this board and thank everyone for insights and tips!

Welcome to the hot tub world, wet testing is good advice, a hot water vessel to soak in outside is my first choice for a relaxing evening. Choosing should not be as stressfull but we as a species tend to make things that way by listening to the pitches of those trying to foster our dollars, instead of using our own logics.

I have just recently purchased an Arctic Spa Cub Designer Tub after several years of looking at different designs and manufacturers, this one seemed to be most suited to my family. What i am looking for are suggestions on chemical use. It comes with the standard ozonater (I did not opt for the "Peak Ozone" as i really don't see a need for it), and i have a 2 year old daughter, with another on the way who will be using the tub (the newborn will have to wait awhile, but my 2 year old just loves hot tubs as we go to my in-laws all the time, and it's great to relax her muscles since she has mild cerebral palsy). The store i bought my tub from is setting me up with a chemical package and some "training", but after reading through the many posts here it seems as though there are people with many years experience with great input. What types of chemicals would be best to use in my spa? (Chlorine vs. Bromine . . . i like bromine since it isn't as caustic as chlorine, but is it possible to keep a tub clean with kids probably peeing occasionaly in it and using bromine? Or would I have to put so much bromine in that i may as well stick with chlorine?). Also, i've read that different chemicals are better for certain spa shells. I'm not exactly sure what my shell is, i know i have the microban type shell, but that's about it. Thanks for any input the more experienced can give me.

I have a brother who has had a tub for over 15 years and tried numerous chemicals, he currently uses Bromine in his tub and likes it - he has 2 children.

I recently purchased a new tub and got the Chlorine beginners kit. I have 2 children, 3yr and 7mo., of which the 3yr old has exzima. I tried to switch from Chlorine to SoftSoak, a non-chlorine chemical (through a retailer, not where I bought my tub). To make a very long story short - after trying SoftSoak I now have to rebuff the entire tub and the tub was "down" for over a month while I got it back to "usable". It was a close call not to take the retailer to court, so that tells you how that went.

I am now back to Chlorine and thrilled to be so. I have also learned to accurately balance my chemicals to my satisfaction, which is key.

I have a brother who has had a tub for over 15 years and tried numerous chemicals, he currently uses Bromine in his tub and likes it - he has 2 children.

I recently purchased a new tub and got the Chlorine beginners kit. I have 2 children, 3yr and 7mo., of which the 3yr old has exzima. I tried to switch from Chlorine to SoftSoak, a non-chlorine chemical (through a retailer, not where I bought my tub). To make a very long story short - after trying SoftSoak I now have to rebuff the entire tub and the tub was "down" for over a month while I got it back to "usable". It was a close call not to take the retailer to court, so that tells you how that went.

I am now back to Chlorine and thrilled to be so. I have also learned to accurately balance my chemicals to my satisfaction, which is key.

Yes accuratly balancing your water will help any sanitizer regimen work better and as designed. I to prefer dichlor alone because of it's ease and there is no smell during my soak. Bromine is great also but the constant addition through a feeder makes it a chlorine bath. I also had trouble with the MPS shock driving down my PH level quickly, which I get now as acid is added ( a byproduct of dichlor) slowly during the 4 month water cycle.

Thanks for all the insight so far everyone! It seems that there is both an equal amount of pros and cons of chlorine and bromine. I did not know that bromine is basically a derivative of chlorine (although it does make sense). I am somewhat forgetful so the bromine floater would probably be a better idea for me since i would forget to add dichlor after usage more often than not, and having been a scuba instructor for several years working in swimming pools, the smell does not bother me (and my wife actually likes it . . . could be a pregnancy thing, they get those weird cravings and stuff). I guess i could always switch after if i don't like a certain method, or if it doesn't work for me. Thanks again to everyone that posted!

I am somewhat forgetful so the bromine floater would probably be a better idea for me since i would forget to add dichlor after usage more often than not, and having been a scuba instructor for several years working in swimming pools, the smell does not bother me (and my wife actually likes it . . . could be a pregnancy thing, they get those weird cravings and stuff). I guess i could always switch after if i don't like a certain method, or if it doesn't work for me. Thanks again to everyone that posted!

If you're using chlorine you can switch to bromine at the drop of a hat. If you're using bromine you must drain and refill before switching to chlorine.

I am not a fan of bromine but to each his own. I find use of bomine to be like sitting in chemical soup whereas with chlorine the spa is fresh for each use. I've owned a spa 6 yrs and find the sprinkle of chlorine as I'm closing the cover after use to be simple and easy to remember.

Good luck.